Replace the sealed beam with...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace the sealed beam with...?

Alright so here is the problem. I have an eye issue. Seeing at night can be hairy, sometimes even in my car. Seeing at night on my cycle, with the 450's sealed beam POS is very hairy. I have night classes coming up this semester.

I saw a few threads on converting the sealed beam to H4, but wanted to see what y'all thought before going for it. Buying a new sealed beam is basically out of the question because they are expensive! I can do the conversion and get about 2 h4 bulbs for that cost .

I know the easy solution is "don't ride at night you silly person". But if i don't ride, I drive. If I don't drive, well then somebody needs to drive me. So unless one of y'all volunteers, I need to do it myself .

H4 Halogen.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Going for better lighting will take you down one of two paths:
      1. Get a headlamp assembly (lens, reflector, bulb) from any "L" that is 1980 or newer, and 550cc or larger, install it in your bucket.
      Note that this is a smaller, somewhat unique 6" light that you will not find in any auto parts store.
      2. Get a complete headlamp assembly and mounting ears from about any non-"L" or non-"T" bike that has a standard 7" light.

The "L" lights that will fit your bucket will give you better light, but it's still rather miserable.
      The 7" lights (for a motorcycle) are a bit better, but it is easier to find some "E-Code" lights (that's "European Code") that will almost make you think you are riding around with portable daylight.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

And one mod I've recommended since I installed one is an Eastern Beaver (or equivalent) headlight relay hookup. It made a dramatic improvement on my aged GS1000 with my aging eyesight. I wouldn't ride it at night before I installed this.
        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I'll give a +1 to the 7" conversion with a H4 bulb, it's a huge improvement over our dodgy stock lights! And I'm just running the standard 55/60w H4 bulb too.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Have a decent steel bucket 7". Had one on my skunk for a while.....

I have a plastic Vetter 7" one that you could have cheap but the bucket doesn't have a lot of room in the back for wiring...
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              http://www.z1enterprises.com/

Have a decent steel bucket 7". Had one on my skunk for a while.....

I have a plastic Vetter 7" one that you could have cheap but the bucket doesn't have a lot of room in the back for wiring...
              Mr. Monk, where did you find a steel headlight bucket??
              Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
              2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
              1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

If you really need the additional light, and it appears that you do, then you might consider a xenon-type bulb in place of the basic halogen type..

You buy the H-4 fitment and just click it into the socket.

I noticed a significant difference in light output between them and the standard halogen bulbs, (I have used them for more than ten years, on bikes and car,) especially if you go for the version that offers between 5000k and 6000k. That range gives a much whiter light output than the standard halogen is capable of producing: 5500k is approximately the same as daylight.

Here is one option, and a very inexpensive one, at that. A bonus is that you can probably depend on it being fairly good quality, as it comes from an e-bay seller who has a top reputation, 99% with over 170,000 sales.

Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I recommend them - the Osram Silver Stars, and others of that type. Definitely produced as much light out of a decent reflecter as the conventional tech, but 100W filament that I'd been using before, with much less heat and charging system strain.
                  ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

i went from sealed beam to h4 than to hid, there is no comparison

Comment

Originally posted by kdo58 View Post
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2nzhvIXP0g

i went from sealed beam to h4 than to hid, there is no comparison
                      Depends on your circumstances. If you're in an area of long wild roads with hardly any other traffic, then run what you like and best of luck. Nearer, and in, towns, you have be conscious of the dazzle that's endemic to putting HIDs in lamp bodies that were designed for filaments - very few of them work correctly for that.
                      ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                      X