Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shop got my gs1150 running, get it home and then no spark

Im almost there!!
    my gs1150 runs, the shop got it running, they looked it over , charged the battery and it started, they said my wiring is old and some where in the ignition harness is a bad or loose connection thats intermittent...
    anything on the 1150 ignition circuit that can be a very typical issue for no spark?
    my wiring is dry and old looking but nothing frayed and open...

I would get a wiring diagram and check the circuits that feed the coils and the ignitor. Do you have no spark at all or is it intermittent? When was the last time the plug wires were changed? More than likely you will need to spend some time cleaning your electrical connections. Trace the wires and look for loose and/or broken connections.

Comment

This is another classic example of why not to go to a shop. They fix what they want and them blame indeterminate causes for the rest of your ills.

measure the voltage to the coil.

Comment

the shop didnt charge me much, and they said I need to go over all the ignition wires and find what it is so Im going to open my book and start checking

I have no spark at all, but when it ran at the shop it started easy and ran

plug wires are the original ones, whats a good plug wire replacement option? its different how they plug into the coils, can I make wires for it with a kit?

Comment

Buy a set of Dynatek green, 3.0 ohm coils, their 8mm plug wires & a Dyna "S" & be DONE with ignition issues! Then you will just need to sort out issues with your harness & the charging system, but you will be HAPPY with the ignition system!!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            Buy a set of Dynatek green, 3.0 ohm coils, their 8mm plug wires & a Dyna "S" & be DONE with ignition issues! Then you will just need to sort out issues with your harness & the charging system, but you will be HAPPY with the ignition system!!! Ray.
            ^^^^^^^
            What Ray said! Just went through this with my ES and it makes it like a whole new bike! Out of pocket about $300 for a complete transformation. You wont be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              where do I buy those?

Comment

I got mine from Z1 enterprises.
                look here http://www.z1enterprises.com/ShopByC...ory=0102040306
                and here http://www.z1enterprises.com/ShopByC...ory=0102040304

Comment

I'll second, third or fourth what Ray said, and add the coil relay mod while you are at it. My GS1000E is always running, I just have to slightly push the starter button every so often to remind it that it's supposed to make some noise.
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Accel also makes a nice set of coils and wires that are equivalent to the Dyna Coils. I would hold off on the Dyna S as it doesn't really add anything unless your ignitor is defective.

IIRC, don't you also you would have to go back to a mechanical advance to make it work as the 1150 has electronic advance built into the ignitor?

Also you might just get away with just a Coil/Ignition relay Mod. That alone can change the whole personality of the bigger bike when the voltage to the coils is low and is probably the first step.

Comment

well Im going to check my whole ignition system, I am familiar with a whole ignition system redo, so ill look into some new coils and wires

would they be 1150 specific? Ive used accell in the past

and is the coil relay mod a good one for the 1150? it can be found on the GSR?

Comment

Originally posted by asbjones View Post
                        well Im going to check my whole ignition system, I am familiar with a whole ignition system redo, so ill look into some new coils and wires

would they be 1150 specific? Ive used accell in the past

and is the coil relay mod a good one for the 1150? it can be found on the GSR?
                        Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

The Dyna s wouldnt work on there unless you found a mechanical advancer for it. A Dyna 2000 has the advance built in but costs more.
                          Can you bolt on an 1100 mechanical advance unit to the 1150?

Comment

What ^^^ said... 1150 has electronic advance and the dyna s uses the older mechanical advance.... True it's one foul swoop and a totally new ignition system but the technology is older and you'll need the mechanical advance plus an ignition cover if you go that route...

Comment

I know the 1100G could use a mechanical advance from an 1100E. Is this true for the 1150 also?

Comment

Working...
                              X