Adding Water to the Battery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Water to the Battery.

Just wondering how often you guys check/add water to the battery in your GS's. My 82 GS 650, seems as if I need to check the water level in the battery on a monthly basis. Brand new battery in March, I had trouble starting it this afternoon (slow cranking), got it home, pulled out the battery and there was almost NO water left in it. Is this normal?? Does keeping the battery tender on have a tendency to cause this?

Thanks.

Your charging system may be over charging.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

No a (proper) battery tender won't cause that, but it will mask the problem that is caused by a charging system that is over charging.

If the voltage gets too high, it will boil off water from the electrolyte. As the electrolyte level gets down, battery capacity goes down, so you apply the tender.

The first thing you need to do is to verify the condition of your charging system. Once you verify that it is correct (or take the necessary steps to correct it), you will likely need to replace the battery, too. Running with dry plates, as you have done, will pretty much be destroyed. I would recommend paying a few extra bucks and getting an AGM battery. That is a type of construction, not a brand name, it stands for Absorbed Glass Mat. It uses thin sheets of porous fiberglass between the lead layers in the cells to keep the lead layers from shorting out on themselves. By doing this, they can put the lead closer together than "normal", and put more of them in the same space, giving you more capacity in the process. It is also a sealed battery, meaning that you will never have to check the electrolyte level again.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i'm have some tips...to extend usage of wet type battery

you can use EDTA powder mixed with electrolyte water....then just pouring inside battery like usual

EDTA = Ethylene diamine tetraacetic acid

Comment

Originally posted by celesboy1 View Post
          EDTA = Ethylene diamine tetraacetic acid
          where would one get that?
          1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
          1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
          1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Vanis View Post
            where would one get that?
            i buy it in chemical store.....

ohh...i forget to mention...EDTA powder are commonly used to preserve food in indonesia

Comment

according to these guys.......

EDTA should be avoided in lead acid batteries
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

+1 on fixing your charging system and getting an AGM battery. I don't remember the last time I pulled out my tender, and I even had a few winters in NY and MA where I didn't use it and it started right up in spring.

Comment

Good gravy, are there still primitives out there selling and using wet batteries?

Your bike is overcharging -- get the hence to the Stator Papers, immediately. Then order up a proper sealed battery so you don't get acid puked all over your frame.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Clay01 View Post
                    ...., got it home, pulled out the battery and there was almost NO water left in it. Is this normal?? ....
                    No.
                    That is a symptom of the R/R overcharging.
                    You have a volt meter so can check battery voltage with engine at a bout 4k rpm...?

You have a 30 year old bike, you may need a volt meter.
                    You have a 30 year old GS. You do need to have a voltmeter.

...., Does keeping the battery tender on have a tendency to cause this?
                    No, not if it is actually a Battery Tender.
                    Yes, if it is just a charger, even if its a 1 amp.
                    Yes, Yes! if it is a large battery charger, like 6 amp.

WHere are you located?
                    Add that to your user profile (go to UserCP).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      Good gravy, are there still primitives out there selling and using wet batteries?

Your bike is overcharging -- get the hence to the Stator Papers, immediately. Then order up a proper sealed battery so you don't get acid puked all over your frame.
                      yes...wet type still very commonly used in indonesia....cars , bus , motorcycle even 18 wheels truck still use it nowadays.... its old school yes...but much more cheap than gel sealed battery....and mostly indonesian prefer cheap one despite of the quality

Comment

Just wondering how often you guys check/add water to the battery in your GS's.
                        When the light goes on.

Comment

I do it when the light goes off.....

Comment

Working...
                          X