78 GS1000 Recifier hot wires smoking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reg/rec

Hi, tonyp884. Your stator could be ok, the 2 wires left are a cicuit through the light switch and are not needed after the re-wire using a unit reg/rec instead of the seperate old units. I would think you are buying a 5 wire unit-3 wires from the stator and an earth + a live. If you unplug all wires from the regulator and rectifier, remove them from the bike. Find the 3 wires from the stator, they will be together in one sleave. You can test these as in the stator papers with a multi meter. This 3 wires conect to your new reg/rec, they could be all yellow or the same as the wires from the stator. Conect the earth ring terminal to 1 of the reg/rec mount bolts, the other mount bolt conect an earth wire from here to a GOOD earth elswhere. The red from the reg/rec conects to the fuse box. Then you will find you have 2 wires left, thats the loop to the light switch tape them up out of the way. I have 3 GS bikes a 77 750 - 78 550 - 79 1000. Thay all have had charge problems including melted wires and a small fire on the 1000, none of the stators have been replaced and all show good voltage with the engine running. As has been said read the stator pages from the garage link on the home page, and buy a multi meter. Have fun .
    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot :eagerness: and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by celesboy1 View Post
      its wiring diagram below.....but if you need to know where the input and output in your new R/R....then you should post here what tipe R/R did you buy....as far as i know....there's 2 kind of connector in R/R....(with several cables outside the R/R.....and just a socket without cables at all)
      i assume your new R/R are shindengen brand yes ?

forget about ignition switch in diagram above if you want make DIY cables....
      just focus to wire between stator and R/R....then between R/R and battery <----thats the main point (i was do DIY cables in my bike too few years ago....and works fine till now)
      This is a good diagram but for a GS there are more fused legs coming out of the ignition switch (i.e. coming back to the fuse box to be distributed to IGNITION, HEADLAMP, SIGNAL, and ACC). Also in this configuration you don't need or want a 20 amp fuse from the battery; only 15 amp as the GS came from the factory.

Actually this is a better diagram as it is more specific in how to create a single point ground. Treat the double red and double black wires on the R/R as single wires. Also ignore the brown sense wire which I now realize is not in the correct place.

In a direct comparison you will see that these are much the same there is just more specific detail in the grounding in the second one.
      Last edited by posplayr; 07-20-2013, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X