Still no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still no start

So I got a wire diagram off of here, followed the wires and all. I have good connections and I made a single post common ground on the cross mount just below the tank. My lights work and I can switch from high to low beam. Horn works too.

Now when I turn the key on, hold the clutch in and press the start button I don't get anything. No noise, no crank, nothing. I had the bike hooked up to a battery tender when I tried to start it too and still got nothing.

I am lost as where to start looking now.

It died on me while riding so I am lost, and don't know where to start..

Kill switch?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

When the key is on stuff works, that's good
      Make sure the kill switch is on run
      Still nothing? Jump the solenoid with a screwdriver. Motor cranks=bad solenoid or bad start button.
      Check the connections from the start button.

Think about the path of current starting at the battery, and test each segment one at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by cableguy View Post
        When the key is on stuff works, that's good
        Make sure the kill switch is on run
        Still nothing? Jump the solenoid with a screwdriver. Motor cranks=bad solenoid or bad start button.
        Check the connections from the start button.

Think about the path of current starting at the battery, and test each segment one at a time.
        Oh and I forgot to add, when I bought the bike it came with a few boxes of crap. There was a new solenoid in there, so I did put that on yesterday.

Yes the kill switch was on the run position, I have taken it apart and inspected the connections and seemed to be ok, but still could be screwy.. possibly

Comment

If you don't have a voltmeter to help with diagnosis, please, at least get a test light.

Electrons are very tiny and hard to see, you need the help of a meter or a light to see if they are there.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            If you don't have a voltmeter to help with diagnosis, please, at least get a test light.

Electrons are very tiny and hard to see, you need the help of a meter or a light to see if they are there.

I have a test light.

Comment

Originally posted by whenpigsfly514 View Post
              I have a test light.
              So do you show power (light on) at one big terminal on solenoid? Have you tried jumping (connecting them together briefly) the two large terminals on solenoid- please make sure bike is on centerstand and in neutral!
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If the solenoid is new and its wired correctly, it should click when you hit the start button. Since you say its new we all have to ASSUME that its "known to be good"
                So your problem has to be before the solenoid, right? Thee only thing before the solenoid is the battery, but also the connection to the start button, and then there is the ground. Is that ground wire part of that ground point you made? If you dont know how good your battery is, use a car battery (don't leave the car running!!!). You need to establish some "known to be good" elements and give some details about both the condition of things, and which steps you take so people don't have to guess. If you have a wiring diagram, follow it, clean every connection along the way, and then report back about what you did, and how well it runs now.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  So do you show power (light on) at one big terminal on solenoid? Have you tried jumping (connecting them together briefly) the two large terminals on solenoid- please make sure bike is on centerstand and in neutral!
                  Light comes on at the red terminal. Starter spins and attempts to start bike when solenoid is jumped.

Comment

Originally posted by cableguy View Post
                    If the solenoid is new and its wired correctly, it should click when you hit the start button. Since you say its new we all have to ASSUME that its "known to be good"
                    So your problem has to be before the solenoid, right? Thee only thing before the solenoid is the battery, but also the connection to the start button, and then there is the ground. Is that ground wire part of that ground point you made? If you dont know how good your battery is, use a car battery (don't leave the car running!!!). You need to establish some "known to be good" elements and give some details about both the condition of things, and which steps you take so people don't have to guess. If you have a wiring diagram, follow it, clean every connection along the way, and then report back about what you did, and how well it runs now.
                    New battery. Checked start switch with test light. Its getting power, and when the bike is switched to run the start switch then has power.

Comment

You can see this wire got very hot for some reason.. Its probably too small of a wire. I have bigger stuff that I am going to swap it with.

Comment

Hope that fixes it.

Comment

Sojumping the contacts on the solenoid now shows me what? Where do I go from here?

Comment

Sojumping the contacts on the solenoid now shows me what? Where do I go from here?
                            Jumping the contacts shows that solenoid is connected to starter motor and battery AND is passing juice thru. Now you have to detrmine why the trigger wire (green/yellow from starter button) is not activating solenoid. Put your test light probe on trigger wire connection - should light up when you press button (and ignition, kill switch and clutch safety switches are on). Make sure the solenoid frame has a good ground to frame.
                            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If you jumped it across the solenoid termenals and the engine cranked over that means the solenoid and starter motor are working. Start at the battery, to ingnition switch. Switch to start button. Start button to solenoid. It sounds like solenoid is not getting power.
                              [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
                              Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X