Whats the best way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the best way

What's the best way to check the coils on 81 gs550l.

Look in the manual, Follow the test procedure. Edit: Or the specifications from the manufacturer if you have non stock coils.

It will be something like: primary resistance is 2-3 ohms Secondary is 3-5 k ohms.

Then check the resistance of the plug cap's.

You could swap left to right coils to see if one side fires and one doesn't. One coil might fire on both sides and the other will be intermittent or not at all.

Whats the problem that your testing for ?
    Last edited by Mekanix; 07-22-2013, 10:53 PM.
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

Comment

test resistance across the primary (bike wires) and secondary (plug lead) terminals on each coil. Make sure the value that you measure is in the range specified by they coil manufacturer, if its off the coil is either dead or dying. Also make sure that you have at least 11V from the positive terminal on the coil to ground with the bike running.

Comment

I'm going through everything trying to figure out why it won't start after it gets hot start right up when cold and runs good but after riding awhile then stopping it won't start.

Comment

On the 4 sets of stock suzuki coils from early eighties that I measured, I got 4 ohms primary and 12 kohms secondary ( wire to wire with plug caps removed);

Edit; I doubt coils are causing your hot start problem
          Last edited by tom203; 07-23-2013, 05:34 AM. Reason: info
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Your symptoms are classic failed windings in the coil. Basically the coil wire has split but when cold, is still touching enough to flow the juice. As it heats up with use, the wire separates and the coil fails i.e. no spark. Replace the coil.

Good luck with it.

Comment

In his other related post, he said bike does not die on him suddenly, but if he shuts it off it won't restart.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X