No announcement yet.

bike no workie re post from wrong section lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you jumped the solenoid, and the starter didn't kick or spin, therefore, the startermotor is the next candidate.... Do not replace the solenoid until you have determined it is the problem. The solenoid DOES NOT CLICK when you jump it...when you jump it, you are connecting the battery directly to the starter.
    Starter motors often fail at the brushes, ocassionally at the bearings.

Comment

i jumped the solonoid from post to post and nothing. why would the solonoid not click when i jump it? any idea? well i guess its the starter. where would i be able to pick one up and any idea what year/model suzukis would be compatable with my 78 gs 550

Comment

Originally posted by sid693 View Post
        i jumped the solonoid from post to post and nothing. why would the solonoid not click when i jump it? any idea? well i guess its the starter. where would i be able to pick one up and any idea what year/model suzukis would be compatable with my 78 gs 550
        You did jump the big post to the other big post right...?

WHen you jump from big post to the other big post, YOU are connecting the battery+ to the starter motor cable yourself. THe solenoids is not operating at all, it will not click because it is not doing anything, is not trying to do anything.

THink of this: Remove the solenoid completely, set it on a shelf, and YOU connect the battery+ cable to the starter motor cable. THe starter should go, right? And the solenoid not click. THat is pretty much the same thing as you are doing when jump big post to big post.

About a replacement starter: Look for Stocker Electric web site for a rebuilt starter. They send you a starter, and then you return you existing one in the same box they send to you.

Other option would be Other option is to buy a used starter off some ebay seller.
        http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Stocker.

Starter - Suzuki Motorcycle
          Type: New
          Replaces: MitsubaStockers #:SS-21
          Retail Price: $224.95
          Your Price: $149.95Starter
          Fits: Suzuki Motorcycle
          1977-1979 GS400/550/750
          12 Volt, CCW, 9 Teeth

Hum.. they list only "new".
          Don't list any "rebuilt".

other option is the starter motor repair kit or the brush kit. If you are up for that. Probably need to clean up the commutator bars too.
          But maybe just replacing the brushes (for $10) might get it going.

Hum, that starter listed only for 77-79 400, 550 and 750.
          Do not know what is so particular about it.

Last edited by Redman; 08-01-2013, 07:15 PM.
          http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

i had my eye on the rebuild kit already. but i will look into that stocker starter. and yes connecting battery to starter directly does nothing. no sound no jerk no nothing. i was planning on pulling it off to try it out of the bike but havent yet. it starts and runs fine with the kicker so i have been riding like that but i want the start option even though it is a one kick machine. i wasnt to happy with the prices of a new in box starter however i think it would be worth it. i think i am gonna give the rebuild kit a shot. thanks for all the help redman pointed me in the right direction on this little dilemma

Comment

Working...
            X