Simplified Wiring gs450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simplified Wiring gs450

Okay, new member here. Yes, I used the search already. I wish I would've found this site awhile ago though haha. Cliff's diagrams have been a big help already.

I'm building a non street legal 81gs450 . I have torn it down already and the wiring is a mess (PO..) I am not an electrical savvy guy at all. So I need some help.

Things I don't need...
    -turn signals front or rear
    -high/low beam switch (just high is fine)
    -gear indicator
    -neutral indicator
    -speedo
    -tach
    -oil temp indicator
    -off/run switch
    -horn

Things I'd like to have/need...
    -killswitch
    -brake light ( I will be running a front brake btw)
    -headlight switch
    -the whole ignition system (obviously haha)
    -and I'd like to attach a cigarette lighter outlet onto it somehow

I have the wiring diagram from cliff. But guys, I'm not good at this and its real compicated for me. Is there anyway to simplify it all so that I just have whats noted up top? BTW, I have a full shop, plenty of wiring, and a voltometer.

Thanks, and I'll be sticking around, with lots of pics too

how about this;? Is this the one that was too complicated?

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

No, haven't seen that one yet. Just printed it out though. Thats a big help, thanks.

Comment

Why not just remove all the (supposedly) unnecessary items and leave the wiring alone?

There is a remote chance that you might realize that you really do need something that you removed, it will be SO much easier to re-attach it.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That was the original plan. But once I tore into the wiring. I noticed quite a few bad wires, and like I said, it's already been touched. Which makes it harder for me to figure out what everything is for.

Comment

The one to the left is the ignitor, the top one is the R/R. Right? So whats the bottom one? And the right one is the starter relay correct?

And if anyone was interested in seeing this hunk o' junk, here it is as she sits.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadeye008 View Post

And if anyone was interested in seeing this hunk o' junk, here it is as she sits.
              OMG it's

wire everywhere!

Comment

The one to the left is the ignitor, the top one is the R/R. Right? So whats the bottom one? And the right one is the starter relay correct?
                Correct on the ignitor and R/R.

Yes, the item on the right is your starter solenoid, the one at the bottom is your turn signal flasher.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

So, since I'm not running turn signals. The flasher can be completely scrapped correct? Also does any body know what amp fuses should be used when using this wiring diagram? When I tore into the bike, there was only one fuse in it to begin with, and to me, it seems I need atleast two for this diagram? The one that was on the bike, I don't remember where it was attached, but it's a 20 amp.

This was the original^^^

Can you guys take a look at this one?
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2013, 09:13 PM.

Comment

OK, I'll take a shot at this one.
                    Upper left, area inside green box:
                    If you wire your stator directly to the R/R (as shown), you can scrap everything inside the box. The bar in the box is a connector, probably a 9-pin, could be under the tank or in the headlight bucket.

Moving to the right:
                    No, those are not fuses, they are connectors.

Moving to bottom center:
                    Yes, they can be connected in any order. That's because it is a 3-phase AC (alternating current) generator. The R/R is a Rectifier/Regulator which changes the AC to DC (direct current), then regulates it to the voltage required by the bike. The diodes in the R/R don't care which leg of the stator is feeding them, you can connect them in any order.

Moving to the bottom right:
                    The wires you have mentioned do not have to be there. Evidently whoever modified that diagram did not bother to remove them or possibly just left them so parts of the diagram would look familiar, so you could see what was changed.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Steve,
                      The schematic is from here.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

I added additional comments below.

Jim

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      OK, I'll take a shot at this one.

Upper left, area inside green box:
                      If you wire your stator directly to the R/R (as shown), you can scrap everything inside the box. The bar in the box is a connector, probably a 9-pin, could be under the tank or in the headlight bucket.

I'm just showing the original connector and those wire that needed to be retained from it. Since there are only three wires connected a three wire connector could be substituted.
                      Moving to the right:
                      No, those are not fuses, they are connectors.

Correct again showing all connections that need to be maintained as they would be in their original connector configuration. If new connectors are desired, you would be free to choose what you like after you have completed adding the lights.
                      Moving to bottom center:
                      Yes, they can be connected in any order. That's because it is a 3-phase AC (alternating current) generator. The R/R is a Rectifier/Regulator which changes the AC to DC (direct current), then regulates it to the voltage required by the bike. The diodes in the R/R don't care which leg of the stator is feeding them, you can connect them in any order.

Yes of course.

Moving to the bottom right:
                      The wires you have mentioned do not have to be there. Evidently whoever modified that diagram did not bother to remove them or possibly just left them so parts of the diagram would look familiar, so you could see what was changed.

In the original post I omitted all lights which are what is connected to the O/G(signal) and O/R(headlamp) circuits. That is where you would connect your lights after deciding what you are going to use.
                      There are no lights/blinkers included in the schematic. Obviously they should be added.
                      Quote:
                      Generally I would not run the stator leg through the handlebar switch (this is generally recommended on all GS's) but rather have the headlamp on all the time and direct connect the 3 stator wires to the R/R.

The OEM fuse box has unused circuits for things like lights.
                      No gages? You can add a wires for the coil (-) for the electronic tach, lights. (I left a ground in the harness running from front to back)
                      This could be modified easily for a Coil relay mod. This would be simple to do now. (I left it out)
                      There is an extra ground wire because some people may not have the starter solenoid and R/R mounted on the same plate. If you relocate igniter, solenoid, R/R to the same plate then things get simpler. Just make sure the Star grounding configuration at the R/R is maintained.
                      Any other accessories can be added to the extra circuits shown
                      Last edited by posplayr; 07-27-2013, 04:12 AM.

Comment

So, since I'm not running turn signals. The flasher can be completely scrapped correct? Also does any body know what amp fuses should be used when using this wiring diagram? When I tore into the bike, there was only one fuse in it to begin with, and to me, it seems I need at least two for this diagram? The one that was on the bike, I don't remember where it was attached, but it's a 20 amp.
                        The standard fuses are 15 amps main (between battery and ignition switch)
                        and
                        10 amps for ignition.

Headlamp and signal loads are typically 10 amps each but depends on what lights you are using.

Comment

Thanks, Pos, I was just going off what was shown, did not bother to follow the link that was also provided.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Thanks, Pos, I was just going off what was shown, did not bother to follow the link that was also provided.

I was mostly agreeing with you as the OP had apparently not considered providing the original context for the schematic.

Comment

Yep, I saw all the agreement, then the additonal parts that I would have seen, if I had bothered to look at the original (which I have since done).

The letters in the diagram posted did not make much sense until viewing the original document, and it also explained the non-connected lines at the fuse box.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X