Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight/turn signals/warning lights out

Hi:

Long time since I posted in the forums - at least 8 yrs. I own a 1981 GS1100E - I've had it 13 years. Anyway, just cruising along and my headlight, all (rear and front) turn signals, and panel/diagram lights (but not oil and neutral) are out.

Bike starts - brake light works - oil and neutral work - but all else electrical that I can see is out.

Brought out my manual to troubleshoot and can't really make heads or tails. One thing I did do is removed what I think is the signal control unit that was under the left side panel - part 374-6 (small black box held by a clip with 6 wires coming out into a clip). I was surprised to find that when I unhooked the control unit, the turn signals now actually work. but none of the other lights work.

Checked fuses and ground.

Any suggestions? - I think I may need to replace that box - probably fried, but if I do that, will the other lights somehow work? I assume the problems are combined and perhaps a faulty signal control box is causing a short that is shutting down most (but not all) of the lighting, but not sure.

Thanks!

Andy

Well, since you abandoned the forum years ago, this guy Basscliff has compiled an info warehouse- here's a sample color wiring diagram, might not be exactly like your 81, but probably offer good clues

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Have you checked to see if the headlight globe has not blown? If your R/R is defective,you could be overcharging the battery and the high voltage burns the globe out.
      1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Hi,

Click the link in my sig to visit my little website. I'm sure you will find something that can help.

Yes, get the wiring diagram from my little website. Have a look at this tip from Mr. Steve: Simplify The Wiring Diagram. It can aid your troubleshooting. Check your fuses, and fuse box connections. The back side of a stock 30 year old fuse box can get really nasty.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Just went through that with my 850, turned out to be a bad connection in the plastic connector for the light circut that is under the side pannel not the headlight. Looked at it and naaaaa can't be that, ya right, it turned out to be the problem, fixed it and game over.
          V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Thanks

Amazing amount of information. Thanks for the responses - I have a few things to go on.

Comment

Working...
            X