My son's first ride was a bust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son's first ride was a bust

So, at 10 years old, I decided that my son was ready for his first ever ride on a motorcycle. It was a beautiful evening. We changed out of our shorts and put on some jeans and riding jackets. We practiced in his school parking lot a little so that he could feel the movement of the bike and we could talk about what he could expect while we were riding. We spent about 20 minutes on the back roads near our house enjoying the scenery and having fun. I turned down a side road, realized it was a dead end and promptly did a u-turn to get back on the main road. I gave my son two or three leg taps, as discussed in our pre-ride briefing and opened the throttle. I felt his body tighten up behind me. At the top of first gear the bike revved and popped, almost like backfire, something I had never heard before. At first I thought I missed 2nd and was in neutral but soon realized that the engine was sputtering and non-responsive. After 3-4 seconds, the engine stalled and all electronics went out. We were dead in the water, in the middle of nowhere. There were no fluid leaks, no smoke and visually, everything looked fine. Gas and oil levels were fine. Thank goodness for CAA.
    I'm thinking this might be an electrical issue and there may have been a lack of spark that contributed to the stall. Then again, I don't know what I'm talking about. The battery charger at home showed a full charge this morning but there are still no electronics.
    I just had the carbs disassembled, cleaned and replaced the 0-rings and needles. She was running so well.
    Any ideas as to what the problem might be?
    I know that the R/R is an issue with these models but the PO mentioned that he had replaced it already. Can anyone tell me if the photo below is the original R/R? If it is the original, how can I accurately diagnose a bad R/R? Can I just swap it out? I've checked out the R/R forum but was hoping for feedback before moving forward.
    Btw, my son still loved the short, but fun ride. Now if can just get her running again, we'll both be much happier.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-28-2013, 08:43 AM.

Read the below link, fully charge your battery and perform test 0. Report back with the results....

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

I don't care how new that R/R is, it's too tiny. Do some testing- simple one here

Seriously consider a series R/R- a SH775 can be had for about $70 usa
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

cool Dad !!!

Comment

Sorry to hear about the curtailed trip but did the lad enjoy the little bit of a ride?

Definitely you are looking at an electrical issue and from experience with my 550 I think you can look at the ignition switch or kill switch as I had almost the exact same thing happen last year. In my case it turned out to be a bad connection in the ignition switch. If there are no signs of life and no lights it is undoubtedly the ignition switch.This is the inside of the switch which is found on the bottom of the ignition key. The contacts were corroded:

If you had full battery voltage when testing it is nothing to do with the R/R so don't waste time worrying about that. It is much more likely to be dirty or corroded contacts somewhere.

In order to fault find an electrical issue you really need to use a digital multimeter and a circuit test light. The test light is especially useful as it allows you to follow the flow of electricity from the battery to where ever it is needed. It will quickly help pinpoint where you have a problem.

You also will find the wiring diagram to be very helpful so hopefully you have a manual to refer to. If not check Cliff's site for one.

I'd start by cleaning the contacts in the right handle bar control as power comes into and goes out of there and they do tend to get gummed up over time. Becareful when you work on it as there are little screws and contact parts in there that can easily be lost. If that doesn't fix things then move to the ignition switch.

Electrical issues are the bugbear of these old bikes and while they may seem daunting at times, just take your time and think things through. Eventually you will figure it out.

Good luck with it.

spyug

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
            Read the below link, fully charge your battery and perform test 0. Report back with the results....

http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfaq.htm

I wasn't able to perform anything beyond testing the battery with ignition in the off position and in the on position since the engine won't run.
            My multimeter has a DC pre-set dial at 10, 250 and 500 volts. At the 10v setting the needle spiked and buried at 10v with the key in the off position. The same for when the ket was in the on position in the ignition. I don't want to make assumptions but, based on this information and the battery charger showing "charged", it looks as though the battery is good.
            According to the stator papers, the bike needs to idling and revving in order to test the complete circuit properly.
            Is there any way to diagnose a bad stator without the engine running?

Comment

I forgot to mention that in the ignition circuit the power lines are the orange with white tracers. It can get a bit confusing as they run from the fuse area to the ignition switch across to the kill switch then back out and down to the coils.

With good contacts and the key on you should be able to follow power from the fuse block all the way around this circuit to the coils. so as I mentioned above, with the key on, you should see power in the kill switch/starter button area. If not, then the ignition switch is the problem.

Good luck.
              spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                Sorry to hear about the curtailed trip but did the lad enjoy the little bit of a ride?

Definitely you are looking at an electrical issue and from experience with my 550 I think you can look at the ignition switch or kill switch as I had almost the exact same thing happen last year. In my case it turned out to be a bad connection in the ignition switch. If there are no signs of life and no lights it is undoubtedly the ignition switch.This is the inside of the switch which is found on the bottom of the ignition key. The contacts were corroded:

If you had full battery voltage when testing it is nothing to do with the R/R so don't waste time worrying about that. It is much more likely to be dirty or corroded contacts somewhere.

In order to fault find an electrical issue you really need to use a digital multimeter and a circuit test light. The test light is especially useful as it allows you to follow the flow of electricity from the battery to where ever it is needed. It will quickly help pinpoint where you have a problem.

You also will find the wiring diagram to be very helpful so hopefully you have a manual to refer to. If not check Cliff's site for one.

I'd start by cleaning the contacts in the right handle bar control as power comes into and goes out of there and they do tend to get gummed up over time. Becareful when you work on it as there are little screws and contact parts in there that can easily be lost. If that doesn't fix things then move to the ignition switch.

Electrical issues are the bugbear of these old bikes and while they may seem daunting at times, just take your time and think things through. Eventually you will figure it out.

Good luck with it.

spyug

Mon son loved the experience and wants to get out right away. He just has to wait for dad to find a solution to the problem... which might take a while.

Since the battery is good, I suppose starting with the power switch on the handle bar then moving to the ignition afterwards sounds like a reasonable trouble-shooting plan.
                However, I'm concerned about removing the front fairing because there are some cracks in it and I don't wanna damage them. If I remove the side panels and front fairing, will this be enough to access the relevant electrical circuits for testing with a multimeter?

Comment

I rode the 77 750 to work one day and it rode fine till TURNING into the store lot and going over the storm drain grate. It stumbled and then blacked out gauges and lights and rolled to a stop.

My problem was that the red wire had fallen off the soldered connection point on the bottom of the ignition.
                  I had to wire the two wires together inside the bucket to get it live and get back home. Resoldered the wire on and was good to go.

Also check the wire connections in the back of the fuse panel, the connections in the headlight bucket too.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                    I forgot to mention that in the ignition circuit the power lines are the orange with white tracers. It can get a bit confusing as they run from the fuse area to the ignition switch across to the kill switch then back out and down to the coils.

With good contacts and the key on you should be able to follow power from the fuse block all the way around this circuit to the coils. so as I mentioned above, with the key on, you should see power in the kill switch/starter button area. If not, then the ignition switch is the problem.

Good luck.
                    spyug
                    Good advice, thanks Spyug.
                    Got the Clymer manual out, the laptop on and my fingers crossed. Gonna start with the fusebox.

Comment

Main 15A fuse is fried.
                      Now the question is why?

Comment

Check behind the panel, under the tank, and anywhere else you can think of where wire could get pinched or rub itself thru the insulation for a short.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          Check behind the panel, under the tank, and anywhere else you can think of where wire could get pinched or rub itself thru the insulation for a short.
                          Thanks Chuck Hahn, gonna plug in a new fuse and keep a spare in the "toolbox." If it fails again, I'll know there's a bigger problem somewhere.

Comment

Well you got lucky there. I assumed you had looked at the fuses first so didn't mention that...silly me. At least now you know there is a shorting issue some where so as Chuck mentions , you can begin the search for a bared wire.

You will need to remove the fairing to get to the bulk of the wiring in the harness up by the headlight. All the forward control lines plug in there. As Chuck says it more likely to be under the tank but you need to check every where.

As far as the cracks in the plastics, they are easily repaired with the ABS slurry solution. Do a search for more complete details but it is essentially pieces of ABS plastic (Lego blocks, drain pipe etc) dissolved in Acetone. You can make it as thin or as thick as needed by adding plastic. A consistency of toothpast or honey is what you want. Use it like glue but it is actually a liquefied version of the plastic so it bonds with the original better than any glue. Here is a piece I fabbed up for a Katana chin fairing to give you an idea:

The end piece in white is made from sheet ABS and you can see the slurry used to bond it to the original.

Its easy to use and is as fully workable as the original plastic.

Good luck finding the problem and let us know what it turns out to be.

Cheers,
                            Spyug

Comment

Not stock R/R.

Main fuse blowing could be result of short circuit to ground in the red wire from fuse block to the ignition swtich, or the orange wire from ignitikon swtich back to fuse block .... or ... the R/R itself.

If you replace the fuse and it blows imeadiatly before even turning on the ignition key; then disconnect the R/R, and try another another main fuse. If that fuse holds, then you have pretty good idea the R/R itself is were the dead short to ground is. If main fuse does blow when turn on key, remove the head fuse the ignition fuse and the signal fuse and try another main fuse, and turn key on, if main fuse blows then know problem is in wiring from ignition swtich to the fuse block or IN the fuse block.

Oh, main should be 15A, and the other 3 10A. If ther is a 5th fuse for Auxilary, that should be no more than 10A either. So you probably are going to want to go buy some 15a spares and somw 10a while you are at it. Those combo packs are about not that usefull, don't have enough of what you need, and more of what you don't need.

You can go a long way without an R/R.
                              (do you have a small battery charger?)

Tell us more what you find.

How did you decide your 10 year old was ready for ride?
                              My criteria (for kid to ride on back) was that kid had to be big enough to hold on and have legs long enough to stand up on pegs (not just touch them with his toes). Good that you had some parking lot instructions first.

And now you can also teach some troubleshooting skills har har har

Last edited by Redman; 07-28-2013, 11:01 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                              X