Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batt won't turn it over after a rain...

...but bump starts and runs great.

78 GS1000 all original R/R and stuff. Many connections soldered, but not all.
    New battery.
    I just got back from a 1700km trip. Everything was fine for 1500km until I rode through nasty rain and got stuck behind a gravel truck for 10 minutes in the unending shower and spray coming off the back of his truck. (man I was angry)

Stopped for fuel and the battery would barely turn it over and I had to bump start it. Ran fine though.

The overflow tube on the batt came off during the trip but shows signs of fresh corrosion on the box under the vent. Possibly boiled off the battery.

I haven't done any testing yet as I just got back last night.
    Read up on the stator pages a bit and printed the test flow chart.

I'm thinking off the top of my head that either I got some rain in a connector or two, or my R/R quit, (or both).

Does that sound plausible?

Wish you had taken a static charge test a the battery soon as you got home and it was still soaked.

That way you could see if it wasn't charging due to flooded wet connections. Then once dry, see if it returns to normal. Guess if you felt the need, you could use some clean water from the hose to resaturate the wires.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I left a fan running on it in the garage to dry it out.
      Tried to start it this morning but more of the same.
      "Ruh... ruh......... ruuuh.............."

Comment

Sounds like somewhere along the way the R/R stopped working and the battery went flat. Check the fluid evels.

Try charging it with a charger ( out of the bike) and then let it sit for about 15 minutes to "settle down". Take a reading and then wait a few hrs..or overnight if convenient and take another reading to see if the voltage shows any significant change.

If not, the battery probably is still good. Then see if she cranks right again. Then take a reading with it running to see if the meter climbs with the RPMs as it should do.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks Chuck. Will do.

Comment

Pulled the battery: full of acid (?)
            11.36 V, placed on charger.
            poked around in the battery box area and discovered that the main positive cable was loose on the other end. (Not sure what that is. Starter something maybe?)
            Removed, cleaned, reassemble.
            Re installed battery and left on the charger.
            Got it to start and tested volts running. Climbs with revs.
            Rode 5km to work. Will check the volts at lunch and see what it's at.
            I'm really excited that it seems ok.

Comment

The end of the positive cable hooks to the starter selinoid. When the selinoid is energized, the contacts close and power goes directly to the starter and thus it cranks.

Yes a loose positive cable can give you fits like you experienced. At least you have two good things.. Battery isn't boiled away and the charging system works. Should be ok I would suspect.

Check the ground cable where it bolts to the engine case as well. Also check the frame grounds from the harness. Most of them are collected at the front bolt of the battery box. Clean them and the battery box at that point, some grease smeared on all them and retighten them.
              Last edited by chuck hahn; 07-30-2013, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Sounds great. I'll do that.
                I just checked the battery and it's holding a solid 12.68V.

Comment

Working...
                X