Genrator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genrator

Ok, so I finally broke down and had a real mechanic test everything, and my generator is bad. Easy enough, except I'm having a devil of a time finding one. I've struck out at all the area salvage places. Anyone know of another source? Sorry this is my first restoration project, and I don't know where to find parts really. 1981 GS1100E. Thanks for any help you can provide!!

Originally posted by ryan View Post
    Ok, so I finally broke down and had a real mechanic test everything, and my generator is bad.....!
    Did your real mechanic tell you which part of the "generator" system was faulty? Ebay, salvage yards , and dealers have parts- early 80's suzukis share many similar charging system parts.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      Did your real mechanic tell you which part of the "generator" system was faulty? Ebay, salvage yards , and dealers have parts- early 80's suzukis share many similar charging system parts.
      Altenator? sort of. There is no generator. Stator,voltage regulator, rectifyer, battery, fuse box.
      [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
      Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mike10 View Post
        Altenator? sort of. There is no generator. Stator,voltage regulator, rectifyer, battery, fuse box.
        It was a trick question! - in case his "real mechanic" was befuddled.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Technically speaking, the combination of the rotor magnets and the stator is an "alternator".

On a car "alternator" the rectifier and regulator are included in the package, on the bike, they are all separate pieces.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Technically speaking, the combination of the rotor magnets and the stator is an "alternator".

On a car "alternator" the rectifier and regulator are included in the package, on the bike, they are all separate pieces.

According to Wikipedia a GS alternator it is also a "magneto" (because of the fixed magnets attached to the rotor).

In principle, any AC electrical generator can be called an alternator, but usually the term refers to small rotating machines driven by automotive and other internal combustion engines. An alternator that uses a permanent magnet for its magnetic field is called a magneto.

Comment

True enough.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Wheres Ryan? Did he go to punch his Mechanic?
                [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
                Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                  Ok, so I finally broke down and had a real mechanic test everything, and my generator is bad. Easy enough, except I'm having a devil of a time finding one. I've struck out at all the area salvage places. Anyone know of another source? Sorry this is my first restoration project, and I don't know where to find parts really. 1981 GS1100E. Thanks for any help you can provide!!

I would NOT put used parts back in. This is an area where the GS has its weakest point...the charging system. New stator, new series type R/R and most likely a battery as well.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                  X