Tired coils and bad wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tired coils and bad wires

I got caught in a rainstorm this week. My caps, wires or coils are bad.
    Rather than dicking with 30 year old parts I thought I would go with Dyna coils and wires.

I know we have 3 ohm coils on the bikes but what is the difference between the mini coils and the green coils. DO any of the variants of the min and the green coils work identically to the OEM format of a wasted spark system?

Ignition will not be changed due to a total lack of options in that area.

Why not replace then wires before spending all that money? I can do a set of coils for around 10 bucks.

See this thread where I describe then process I do.

Last edited by chuck hahn; 08-01-2013, 08:14 AM.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I have a set of the Dyna coils(green) on my Yamaha Seca 750, TCI and they are fine.

I was warned by a Dyna Coil distributor to stay away from the mini coils for a street bike. They are a weight saving product for drag bikes and do not perform well in a high duty cycle situation.

I second Chucks advice. It's fairly easy to replace the wires on the stock coils. If you leave the wires a few inches too long you can re use them on the new coils if the stock coils turn out to be bad. Then your only out an hour's labor.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2013, 08:46 AM. Reason: I'm a dumb ass!

Comment

Replace your caps first then run tests. They do go bad with age and moisture. Same thing happened to my bike in the beginning. The wires can be replaced, but you would have a lot hotter spark with a set of Dyna green coils and Dyna suppression wires.
        Last edited by OldVet66; 08-01-2013, 07:52 PM.
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Coils don't really go bad, it's extremely rare. 99% of the time, it's the wires and caps. Even my vintage guy won't sell coils, because he says they don't go bad, haha. I tried to get one for my 750, and I had to convince him the previous owner put the Wrong coil(3ohm coil) on my bike, and it was eating up my points.

Comment

Try a used set of Bandit coils for 39.00 on ebay. After you check/replace wires/caps. Todays coils, cheap price.

Comment

Working...
            X