Headlight question 1981 GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight question 1981 GS850G

So, my headlight is burnt out, high beam works, 'regular' running light does not. Took off the headlamp assembly and lo and behold it looks as though I cannot just replace the bulb. Is this correct or am I missing something? Can I get to the bulb from under the lens, or do I need to replace the whole headlamp unit?

Thanks!

There should be two small screws which hold the halves of the assambley together. Easy on the pipe bro

Comment

Sounds like you have a sealed beam unit and yes if you go back with that It's replace the bulb/reflector as a unit. The other option is to upgrade to a halogen H4 bulb that can be replaced without the reflector. 30 - 40 bucks for reflector and bulb but IMO worth it. They put out better light and then you can carry a spare bulb easily.

Cheers

Comment

The '81 850G uses an H4 bulb in a reflector/lens assembly.

Remove the two screws from just behind the chrome ring, they are at the 4 and 8 o'clock positions. Swing the bottom of the light up, that will release the catch at the top. Pull the connector off the back of the bulb. Pull back the rubber dust baffle, you will see the springs that hold the bulb to the reflector. Release the springs, change the bulb, re-assemble in reverse order.

You can get replacement bulbs at any auto parts store or Wal-Mart. You might and might not see an "H4" bulb, but a 9003 bulb is close enough. If it's available, get one of the Sylvania Plus30 bulbs, but whatever you do, stay away from any of the blue-tinted bulbs, no matter what their claims are for putting out "super-white" or "close to daylight" color. All that blue tinting does is to reduce the amount of useable light that the bulb puts out.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

All of you! Thanks! Steve, question....from what you are saying I think I should be able to pull the bulb out of the back of the unit? If that's what you meant, I cannot.

Comment

Originally posted by Polishpower77 View Post
            what you are saying I think I should be able to pull the bulb out of the back of the unit?.......
            Yes, stock headlight 1980 and after should have halogen bulb that comes out of the glass part. Like Steve says (I would never disagree with Steve.)

DO You have the headlight (glass part) and the chrome ring taken out off the headlight shell (Black Plastic)?
            You can not get to the bulb from back of the entire headlight shell. You Have to take headlight out of the shell, like Steve said.

Headlight shell (black plastic part), Leave that on the bike.

Headlight (glass part) and chrome ring, taken out of headlight shell.

part 6 is the rubber boot Steve mentioned.

this diagram doesn't show the electrical connector.

In this diagram cant see how the bulb is held in place by some spring clips. They release real easy.

Question 1 : Do you know if bike at one time had a big faring? If so, maybe the stock headlight was removed when fairing installed.
            And then later, when fairing removed, someone had to find some headlight to put on it. And maybe what you have is not stock.

Question 2: You have headlight removed from the shell?
            If not, go back and read what Steve said in more detail.

There are two of those screws 16 (the 4 & 8 oclock position Steve mentioned) you will find on side of the chrome ring. And one screw 7 on top.
            Do not need to mess with screw 11 in front, that is the headlight left-right aiming.
            The other screws hold the various rings together around the glass part, don't need to mess with those either.

Once you do it once, then next time you will do it in 3 minutes.
            Only hard part is reaching in behind to plug the connector back on the bulb.

Last edited by Redman; 08-01-2013, 10:58 PM.
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              (I would never disagree with Steve.)
              Go ahead, Dave, you can do it.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thanks for the response. The lens says "sealed beam headlight" so I am assuming it is an aftermarket headlight that was put in. I have the whole assembly off, not the black plastic case(where the wires come through) that holds the assembly. No way of taking anything off the back of the headlamp to access the bulb, and even looked around the lens and do not see anywhere to detach that either. So Yeah thinking "sealed beam" means just that. Damn you previous owner and aftermarket parts!

Comment

Yep, if it says "sealed beam" on the front, that's what it is.

If you are interested in something that is closer to a stock H4 light, let me know, I have a couple of extras around here.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Yep, if it says "sealed beam" on the front, that's what it is.

If you are interested in something that is closer to a stock H4 light, let me know, I have a couple of extras around here.

Can you still purchase the headlight lense and reflector? I've got a kind of cloudy one.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                      Can you still purchase the headlight lense and reflector? I've got a kind of cloudy one.
                      Try Candlepower or Autopal (on eBay).

I had a couple of the Autopal lights in use here, before switching to LED.
                      The specific model on the box is HL-102, and it throws a very nice pattern on the road.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Try Candlepower or Autopal (on eBay).

I had a couple of the Autopal lights in use here, before switching to LED.
                        The specific model on the box is HL-102, and it throws a very nice pattern on the road.

You have LED headlights?
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                          You have LED headlights?
                          Yep.

Just on the wife's 850L, so far, will be getting one on #1 son's 650L as soon as he gets it down here to do it.

NOTE: both of the Ls have been converted to 7" headlights.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                          X