Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging system - Head Light re-wire – where are instructions

Somewhere I read the re-wire instructions / modifications (and specifically for the head light) for our charging system can’t seem to find them. Any hints?

Thanks,
    Andrew
    1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

If you are talking about the stator loop that runs through the left hand headlamp switch just wire the stator direct to the R/R and what is left can be left alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Vanis View Post

Somewhere I read the re-wire instructions / modifications (and specifically for the head light) for our charging system can’t seem to find them. Any hints?

Thanks,
      Andrew
      I have seen some rather vague requests before, but this one is battling to be #1.

Andrew, just what it is you are trying to accomplish?

About the only "headlight re-wire" that is done here is to install a relay or two to bypass the fuse box and provide full battery voltage to the headlight, or one other possibility is to install a relay that will turn the headlight OFF when using the electric starter.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I have seen some rather vague requests before, but this one is battling to be #1.

Andrew, just what it is you are trying to accomplish?
        And yet, the first two replies are an excellent start...

Mainly –

What are the recommended charging system mods for our bikes and how to do them? You addresses this with two examples (neither of which I have considered, so thank you). I’m sure there must be others.

And

Secondly –

What is the way to remove the ?redundant? loop to the headlight that seems to cause some charging issues. Posplayer touched on that one (though I’d like a little more info – how to do it, what wires to look at, I have the ability to turn my light on/off will this be changed with this mod)
        1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
        1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
        1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

What is the way to remove the ?redundant? loop to the headlight that seems to cause some charging issues. Posplayer touched on that one (though I’d like a little more info – how to do it, what wires to look at, I have the ability to turn my light on/off will this be changed with this mod)
          Find your stator wires, they usually come out from under the starter cover. The bundle of three wires will go back toward the battery. Two of the wires will be connected to the R/R, the third wire will disappear into the wiring harness. It will re-appear with a different-colored stripe, then go to the third input to the R/R.

To bypass that loop, disconnect the wire that goes into the harness. Disconnect the wire that comes out of the harness and goes to the R/R. Connect the stator wire directly to the R/R.

That will not affect your ability to turn off the headlight, but you should be aware that if you run with the light OFF, especially at higher engine RPM, your R/R will have to work extra hard to regulate the voltage.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thanks Steve. That resolved a couple things.

for my OEM wiring its was W/G going into the harness and W/R coming out. So connected the W/G from stator to W/R from R/R directly and worked just fine.

Interesting it also solved my charging issue. Not because or any wiring debacle but because I was running the tests with headlight OFF so this stator feed was being canceled by the OFF headlight switch. See here for more info - http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...61&postcount=5

Comment

And yet, the first two replies are an excellent start...

Mainly –

What are the recommended charging system mods for our bikes and how to do them? You addresses this with two examples (neither of which I have considered, so thank you). I’m sure there must be others.

And

Secondly –

I did more than touch on it. I told you explicitly how to do it.

Comment

Hi Polyspar,

I am very glad you are more electronically skilled that me (and probably others). The CompuFire thread and revised stator papers are excellent. I only mention this because some of us need a bit more step-by-step. For me at least, there is a humongous difference between the following…

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                If you are talking about the stator loop that runs through the left hand headlamp switch just wire the stator direct to the R/R and what is left can be left alone.
                In this I had no idea of the place to do wire switch.

and

Find your stator wires, they usually come out from under the starter cover. The bundle of three wires will go back toward the battery. Two of the wires will be connected to the R/R, the third wire will disappear into the wiring harness. It will re-appear with a different-colored stripe, then go to the third input to the R/R.

To bypass that loop, disconnect the wire that goes into the harness. Disconnect the wire that comes out of the harness and goes to the R/R. Connect the stator wire directly to the R/R.
                Like one of my mentors growing up said”…you know, ‘kinda like brain surgery. Once you know how, its easy”

Also, is there anything that needs to be done with the now empty wires coming out of the wiring harness. Since one is male and one female, I'm inclined to connect them together (probably a bad idea). Should I tape the male open exposed terminal?
                Last edited by Andrew Vanis; 08-02-2013, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Also, is there anything that needs to be done with the now empty wires coming out of the wiring harness. Since one is male and one female, I'm inclined to connect them together (probably a bad idea). Should I tape the male open exposed terminal?
                  No need to tape them up.

No need to connect them together.

Unless you have OCD and just can't stand the thought of two unconnected wires hanging there.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Good to know. Thanks.

my OCD requires me to tape them up after I create and attach a label noting that originally they were inline to the stator

Comment

Hi Polyspar,

For me at least, there is a humongous difference between the following…

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by posplayr View Post
                      In this I had no idea of the place to do wire switch.

and

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Steve View Post

Like one of my mentors growing up said”…you know, ‘kinda like brain surgery. Once you know how, its easy”

Glad you are progressing on your bikes electricals, I'm only quibbling because I did answer you and it was a complete answer (whether or not you grasped it the first time or even now). The answer was devoid of any touchy feelly explanation as your question was not clear about what in the world you were actually asking about.

Even now with regard to your question about free wires; the answer was given already but I guess we can touch on it again

what is left can be left alone.
                      Last edited by posplayr; 08-03-2013, 12:36 AM.

Comment

my OCD requires me ...
                        I used to have OCD, but I got over it.

I now have CDO.

It's a lot like OCD, but it's alphabetized, like it should be.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

No need to tape them up.

No need to connect them together.

Unless you have OCD and just can't stand the thought of two unconnected wires hanging there.

I always taped them up just because it looked neater. heheh
                          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                            I always taped them up just because it looked neater. heheh
                            I only taped up one; the other is used to route the kill switch output to my Ignition Relay on the battery box.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                              I only taped up one; the other is used to route the kill switch output to my Ignition Relay on the battery box.
                              Tell us more. Why is this a good mod? What is insufficient with the existing kill switch?

Comment

Working...
                              X