Are Dyna's worth the money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Dyna's worth the money?

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 1982 GS550M motor. I will be doing the 650 cylinder/piston/head swap. My bike is stock as far as electrics go. This year and model has a signal gen and mechanical advance. It ran fine electrically before the rebuild.

My question is should I switch over to a Dyna s system and would there be a substantial benefit. These systems are not cheap but I will spend the money if there's a real diff over the factory stuff of 1982.

Also, if the payoff is worth it, what parts should I replace? Just the sig gen, coils, igniter, etc?

Thanks,
    Sci85
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

YES!!! Get the Dyna S, green 3.0 ohm coils & Dyna plug wires. Ray.

Comment

And I can use my existing igniter and r/r?

Ray - another quick question - do you know any good machinist for head work in the STL area?

Thanks,
      Sci85
      1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
      1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
      2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post

Ray - another quick question - do you know any good machinist for head work in the STL area?

Thanks,
        Sci85
        You don't need an ignitor with the Dyna S.
        The R/R is not part of the ignition so sure as long as it checks out good.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I'm personally a fan of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." There's not really anything to gain from a new Dyna S over a working stock electronic ignition other than piece of mind that it's new and hopefully won't break on you.

As for me, I'm a gambling man with a stock setup that hasn't failed me yet --knock on wood--

Comment

FINAL ANSWER!!! yes. Ditch the point and run what you brung!!!! Set timing and it really is a night and day diff!! Dyna S is worth every penny if aval for your machine!!! Just Be very carefull with battery chargers!!! They seem to be sensitive on amperage. Ask me how I know. DynaTek is a really great company to deal with!!!!! Please look at my profile for what i'm looking for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Comment

Originally posted by aka LT-1000 View Post
              FINAL ANSWER!!! yes. Ditch the point and run what you brung!!!! Set timing and it really is a night and day diff!! Dyna S is worth every penny if aval for your machine!!! Just Be very carefull with battery chargers!!! They seem to be sensitive on amperage. Ask me how I know. DynaTek is a really great company to deal with!!!!! Please look at my profile for what i'm looking for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
              So after looking at your profile what does a blown clutch basket have to do with a Dyna S Anyway! You need to ditch the heli cut gears and get some straight cut with a H.D. backed billet basket. WOW! Whole lotta pieces dude. Back to the Dyna S yes being able to time your bike perfectly will help everything from starting to running right all the time and allows adjustment if and when wanted or if needed. Such as eliminating (pinging) etc.
              Last edited by gs11ezrydr; 08-05-2013, 05:16 AM.
              sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

And I can use my existing igniter and r/r?Sci85

Buy the Dyna S and install

Sell the working ignitor to someone else. Have you seen what they are worth???
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks,
                  Sci85
                  The R/R is a charging system component. It has nothing to do with the ignition system or Dyna. Yes, you can use your same R/R.

The Dyna S is self contained and a stand alone system. The ignitor function is contained within the Dyna. You MUST disconnect and preferably remove the stock ignitor from the bike, and must remove the stock breaker plate and rotor from the bike when you install the Dyna S.
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                  X