84 gs1150ef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 gs1150ef

Installed LED signal lights as the fronts were missing when I got the bike, and the rears were broken. The rears were a simple install, 2 wire connections and done. The front oem harness has 3 wires, going to ea lamp, the LED's only have 2. The power and ground are self explanatory, however, the previous owner has "modified" the wiring and the grey wire is not connected to anything.
    When the key is on, all 4 lamps light and stay on. None of them will flash. The relay isn't buzzing or clicking as described in previous posts. We've tried to add the grey wire to the green and brown with no success. Fuses are good, battery fully charged.....

anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

"The front oem harness has 3 wires, going to ea lamp"

The stock ones had a running light and a turn signal filament in each bulb. Stock ground (from harness) ahould be black/white wire to eack side. The third wire that is likely the same color both sides is the "hot" for running lights (comes on with ignition "on" ) which you are dropping, so leave it taped up.
    LED's won't flash unless you get electronic flasher to replace stock one.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I was wondering about the box for the led's. I asked at the bike shop today, and the guys behind the counter looked at me like I was asking for a muffler bearing.
      I wired some extra led turn signals and brake lights on the back of my venture and they work fine with no other mods, I was hoping to get lucky with the gs too.
      Any suggestions for an electronic flasher?

Comment

Any two prong flasher at the auto shack will work. You will lose your auto-cancel.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          Any two prong flasher at the auto shack will work. You will lose your auto-cancel.
          I disagree. I have not found that a two prong standard flasher will work with LED lights. There is not enough power draw to cycle the flasher unit.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I found this last night, called my guy at the local napa store and he's dropping 1 off tonight after work. The price? 1 ice cold frosty beer!

This 3-Pin Electronic LED Flasher Relay supports a 0.02-20 amp range and operates on 12 VDC. Eliminates the need for load resistors; turn signals will flash at a normal rate with or without LED bulbs. Flasher is compatible with most European vehicles. Check out our Vehicle Bulb Finder.

Comment

Originally posted by racerguy36 View Post
              Nice find! been waiting for these to come out...

Comment

I got it local from napa, they had them on the shelf, just use the pn on the flasher. I still have to get the signals working tho, someone mentioned ground wires?
                Finally got the old girl running last night, headlamp and tailamp, took off for a ride around a county block, few minutes in most of the red lamps on the dash started lighting up, but holy-she goes like stink!

Comment

I just put LED signals on my bike, had the same problem they wouldn't flash. Pretty simple fix though, you can buy these resistors that will fix no flash and excessive flashing.
                  I found mine on eBay, $15 for a set of 2 but I sure most bike shops should have them.

Comment

Working...
                  X