Experience w/ Dime City Cycle speedo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experience w/ Dime City Cycle speedo?

Hello, does anyone have any experience with installing Dime City Cycle's speedometer on his GS? More specifically, this speedo on a GS400.

My gear indicator, trip meter are busted on my stock instrument panel. I am thinking of switching to some new instruments. I like this Dime City speedo because it contains all the warning lights as well.

I'd like to see if anyone have any experience? Whether the ratio of (60kmh = 1400RPM) is compatible and whether the gear indicator can just be bypassed by not connecting those wires (presumably).

Thanks.

I've got the MPH version of the same speedo on my gs750. Overall, I've been unimpressed. The accuracy is questionable at low/mid speeds. Mine seems to read 60mph at around 45mph. It catches up if you run a steady speed for a while, but while accelerating it's way off. I'm not sure if the gear ratio of the speedo is incorrect or not. It seems fine at highway speeds. The black finish scratches VERY easily. The needle also bounces quite a bit.

The LED indicators work great - I couldn't be happier with them. I don't know of any better options for gauges, but I put the speedo and a matching tach on my bike a couple of weeks ago and while they work, they seem really cheap and low-quality. I guess that's what you get for $70. The gear indicator wiring on my bike all goes through one connector so I was able to leave that connector unplugged and hook up everything else pretty easily. The neutral indicator wire was separate from the connector with the rest of the wiring. Not sure about yours, but on my bike the gear indicator section of the instruments receives a steady power signal and then has grounds that activate for each gear, which means there's not problem with leaving them unhooked.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2013, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the insight on their build quality. I hadn't considered that. I just really like how they put all those features in a simple looking gauge. I guess I'll search a little harder to see if I can find better built instruments.

Comment

Not sure how the ratios translate from the mph clocks to mph clocks, but check the back of the unit for a sticker that says. "M=2.1˝ If it says "M=2,0" it's a 2:1 speedo that doesn't work for these bikes and will read high. AMHIK

Comment

Working...
        X