Battery smells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery smells

When starting my 81 gs550T battery smells like sulfur.I had a hard time getting spark,so this may be a clue.Any suggestions? switched R/R with another one I had -same thing!

Methinks your battery needs recycling- get a new one and test your charging system just in case it caused an overcharging problem.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

battery smells

Getting a new battery would sure be a quick fix,but battery shows 13 volts on full charge.Charger shows faults when problems occur.I'll need another battery soon any way for another bike,worth trying thanks.

Comment

I have had lots of batteries that show 13 volts after charging episode, but put a load on them and they fall flat. whatever you do, make sure you test charging system- this is a common failure in these vintage bikes.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

My battery was smelling like that as well. R/R was pooched and the battery was overcharging.

Might not be the R/R. Check the stator as well.

Comment

When you do replace it, be sure and get an AGM. Spillproof, precharged, and they last for years. But check out that charging system first.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Byrum View Post
              When starting my 81 gs550T battery smells like sulfur.I had a hard time getting spark,so this may be a clue.Any suggestions? switched R/R with another one I had -same thing!
              The electrolyte is sulfuric acid so it's no suprise. However, you wouldn't /shouldn't smell it unless the caps are loose or the overflow/vent hose is lost. check the electrolyte level. If the battery is gassing a lot, ( a symptom of overcharging) you lose electrolyte.

Comment

battery smells

This is to say "It was the battery all the time,it had the volts but could not start my bike. New battery and problems gone.thanks

Comment

Working...
                X