Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to replace my Rectifier/Regulator

No charging on my 82 GS850GL

Just did some preliminary testing of my charging system and believe that the stator is good. Disconnected the three wires and tested each of the three legs. I found 80+ volts AC between any two at ~5k RPMs. About 45V at low idle. Resistance between each leg was .8ohms and resistance to ground from each leg was open.

Output from the regulator is 0v. Further testing shows a shorted diode on the white/blue wire of the R/R to ground. I guess that confirms the source of my charging issues. Diode is toast. I've read some on alternatives to the stock R/R but not a definitive consensus on which is "THE BEST". Cost is important but reliability is the main concern. I would like as close a "plug-n-play" as possible but a kit with all the appropriate connectors would work too. It looks to me like someone has already replaced it once with a newer stock unit only for that one to go bad.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

You want a series R/R- i.e. compufire or shindengen SH775- and charging issues might be a distant memory!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Anyone know a good source for the shindengen R/R and connectors?

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I committed to the CompuFire after searching for the SH775.

The issue with off-brand SH775 is that they may not be actual SERIES units. See the discussions here -

Not knowing if the Polaris/SH775 option would be "genuine series" depending on who it came from, I went with a sure thing and stayed with the CompuFire.

It was only another $50-ish dollars (compufire $155 shipped amazom vs. ~$80 + shipping for SH775). To save a stator, battery and run cooler without wondering what I got I though it worth it.
        1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
        1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
        1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Vanis View Post
          I committed to the CompuFire after searching for the SH775.

The issue with off-brand SH775 is that they may not be actual SERIES units. See the discussions here -

Not knowing if the Polaris/SH775 option would be "genuine series" depending on who it came from, I went with a sure thing and stayed with the CompuFire.

It was only another $50-ish dollars (compufire $155 shipped amazom vs. ~$80 + shipping for SH775). To save a stator, battery and run cooler without wondering what I got I though it worth it.
          There is no issue with the SH775 especially if you buy it direct from the Polaris Dealer. I don't think you will be disappointed in the Compufire, but the SH775 is plenty cheaper if a bit bigger to install and it is a Series R/R. The only issue is in not buying one of the confirmed solutions (specifically Compufire 3 phase or the SH775).

Comment

Just purchased a sh775 with connectors so I guess I'll be good to go as soon as it arrives.

Next stop... Carb rebuild.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
              Just purchased a sh775 with connectors so I guess I'll be good to go as soon as it arrives.

Next stop... Carb rebuild.
              Hopefully, you got this from your nearby Polaris dealer-
              part #4012941- accept NO substitutes or wild theories
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Actually it's a SHINDENGEN FH020AA. Let you all know how the install goes. Any hints on what to expect. I know the mounting holes will have to be reworked and I'll bypass the stator loop going to the headlight.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Actually it's a SHINDENGEN FH020AA. Let you all know how the install goes. Any hints on what to expect. ...
                  Expect your stator (which appears good now) to become toasty in future. The only series R/R that Shindengen currently makes is the SH775; for some reason, folks are resisting this fact and becoming seduced/mislead by the mosfet FH ones as a better choice. I'd send the FH020 back and let someone else's bike have the BBQ
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    Expect your stator (which appears good now) to become toasty in future. The only series R/R that Shindengen currently makes is the SH775; for some reason, folks are resisting this fact and becoming seduced/mislead by the mosfet FH ones as a better choice. I'd send the FH020 back and let someone else's bike have the BBQ
                    I don't think it is just deceptive marketing, I think it is basically human nature in that once you make a decision you have a vested interest in a that decision and turn off the reasoning.

Comment

Can't send it back so I guess I'm SOL. Can't afford to buy two so I guess I'll just have to live with it. Way too much confusing information about this topic. Some say one thing while others say differant even on this forum. I just wish there was a sticky post with the definitive answer on this so others don't have to mill through all the rubish only to end up buying the wrong one.

I may just put it up for acution on ebay.
                      Last edited by JTGS850GL; 08-15-2013, 04:10 PM.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Can't send it back so I guess I'm SOL. Can't afford to buy two so I guess I'll just have to live with it. Way too much confusing information about this topic. Some say one thing while others say differant even on this forum. I just wish there was a sticky post with the definitive answer on this so others don't have to mill through all the rubish only to end up buying the wrong one.

I may just put it up for acution on ebay.
                        Sorry to hear that, but a relatively cheap lesson to check the sources of all information. There is a pretty low entry fee for posting anything on the web. I know I sometimes come off argumentative with some posts, but it is to stop miss information as much as possible as it is too easy to create confusion through posting miss information.

I have seen posts that claim MOSFET R/R's are SERIES and the Compufire R/R's are SHUNT. Virtually the entire compu fire line is SERIES (but only one 3 phase) and the MOSFET R/R's are absolutely shunt.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          Sorry to hear that, but a relatively cheap lesson to check the sources of all information.
                          Coming from a newbie on this forum I'd say that, without the advantage of living the posts of the past, it turns into a jumble of misinformation. Hours spent trying to identify who is and who is not credible is a much more daunting task than it appears. And believe me, I did spend some time looking into this and still messed up.

Anyone know if the connectors are the same between the sh775 and the FH020AA that I purchased? At least I could use the connectors then.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Coming from a newbie on this forum I'd say that, without the advantage of living the posts of the past, it turns into a jumble of misinformation. Hours spent trying to identify who is and who is not credible is a much more daunting task than it appears. And believe me, I did spend some time looking into this and still messed up.

Anyone know if the connectors are the same between the sh775 and the FH020AA that I purchased? At least I could use the connectors then.
                            The connector is the same. You could run for a while with the MOSFET(it depends on how you ride), but if you are using a Electrosport stator with the extra 20% power it will burn pretty fast when using the MOSFET. I saw significant browning in only 250 miles.

The mis information is all over not just here. We do try to keep up with policing here and I have to say it is probably better here.

Comment

Don't get me wrong... This is by far one of the best bike specific forums that I have ever experienced. Just way too much information to absorb when trying to fix something quickly. At least I didn't go out and buy a stock replacement.

I'll just go and install the regulator when it arrives and then swap it for the Polaris 4012941 (SH755) when $$$ permits. I don't ride it screeming so by keeping the RPMs low it shouldn't do much damage. Right now the bike is not rideable because of the charging issue so that needs to be resolved ASAP.

Next after this is a complete carb set rebuild (different topic area). Already ordered all the O-rings for that including the O-rings for the intakes. In order to minimize the down time I'm planning on doing the carbs only after all the parts have arrived and when I have two days in a row free.
                              Last edited by JTGS850GL; 08-15-2013, 05:28 PM.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                              X