Bike not firing on cylinders 1 and 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike not firing on cylinders 1 and 4

The bike was running great. I have jetted the carbs, been riding all summer. Then yesterday, cylinder 1 and 4 stop firing. I did some testing and the coil is fine, its the the wires coming from the harness to the coil that are failing. I wasn't able to trace where they are going.

Any idea what the problem could be? It's definitely not the coil or the plug wires.

Thanks.

sounds similar to the problem on my gs1000 , but 2+3 are the cylinders giving me trouble

Comment

Points? Ignitor? Hard to guess without knowing which model it is or even which year, but 1 and 4 do share a common coil/ignitor/points/condenser. Whichever type ignition you have 1 and 4 are on a common coil.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by andygs1000 View Post
        sounds similar to the problem on my gs1000 , but 2+3 are the cylinders giving me trouble
        2 and 3 are on the other common coil. Again, which type ignition?

Comment

my bike is running cdi ignition , the coils seem to be ok as ive swapped the wires and got spark ,but have lost power coming to feed 2+3

Comment

The plugs from the harness to the coils under the tank get dirty and wear out.
            Replace with some spade connectors or just solder them in.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by andygs1000 View Post
              my bike is running cdi ignition , the coils seem to be ok as ive swapped the wires and got spark ,but have lost power coming to feed 2+3
              CDI?
              What is it a Kawasaki?
              All this secrecy crap is annoying.

Comment

Andygs1000; you need to include your bike/model/year in your signature; go to User CP (top left on this page)- this lets responders know what critter you are talking about.

You don't have a CDI -you do have an electronic ignition that does what points do, open and close to excite ignition coils at proper time.
                Understanding multimeter use is mandatory - you'll be a whiz in no time.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

My bike is a 1980 gs1100l 16v. I cut off the coil connectors and eliminated corrosion as a possibility. I opened up the ignition cover on the right side and both connections look brand new.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshisakan View Post
                    its the the wires coming from the harness to the coil that are failing.

Any idea what the problem could be?
                    From your description, it sounds like it is the wires coming from the harness to the coil.

Comment

My bike is a 1980 gs1100l 16v. I cut off the coil connectors and eliminated corrosion as a possibility.
                      With KOEO how many volts at the coil connector?

You could run a fused jumper from battery + to the O/W wire at the coil to see if 2/3 can throw a spark. If it does, you have just proven that the problem is the O/W wire coming to the coil.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        CDI?
                        What is it a Kawasaki?
                        All this secrecy crap is annoying.
                        no secrecy crap with me , just new to the forum and feeling my way around , i'll go sort out my signature

Comment

Any idea where the coil wires go? Is there a schematic some where? I hate wiring...

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                            Andygs1000; you need to include your bike/model/year in your signature; go to User CP (top left on this page)- this lets responders know what critter you are talking about.

You don't have a CDI -you do have an electronic ignition that does what points do, open and close to excite ignition coils at proper time.
                            Understanding multimeter use is mandatory - you'll be a whiz in no time.
                            ok thanks , right so ive learned something already ............. i thought cdi and electronic ignition ment the same thing
                            in my own thread about a similar problem a kind member posted this link

some very useful tests etc that could probably be applied to your gs1100

Comment

Any idea where the coil wires go? Is there a schematic some where? I hate wiring...
                              I know what you are saying. I hate digging this stuff out if it isn't where the problem is. Thats why I asked:

"With KOEO how many volts at the coil connector?"
                              Last edited by Guest; 08-18-2013, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X