Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 suzuki gs550 issues, can anyone help??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 suzuki gs550 issues, can anyone help??

i have an 81 gs550, ive turned this bike into a bobber and before i did anything to it, it had no issues other than the carbs were acting up, no big deal. well now that ive completed it, it didnt want to run right, it didnt seem like it was charging, here to find out the battery i had crapped out on me, so i got another battery from my brother in law that is good, but everytime i goto start my bike after its been sittin a lil while, it like the battery goes completly dead and in order to start it i have to put the battery charger on it on high to get it to do anything, when it does start it will sit and idle with a lil popping (carb issue, im assuming), but once you get out and try to ride it, its like its not keeping enough juice to keep spark and a combination of lack of fuel (once again i think thats a carb issue). has anyone else had this issue or something similar or any idea what to check, what to do to fix this. thanks

sounds like the battery you borrowed is no good either. you should buy a new one or one you KNOW is good, then check if it is charging when the bike is running
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by wicked_wonka View Post
      i have an 81 gs550, ive turned this bike into a bobber
      This thread is useless without pictures.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        sounds like the battery you borrowed is no good either. you should buy a new one or one you KNOW is good, then check if it is charging when the bike is running
        the battery im using now is only a couple months old and it works fine in my brother in laws snowmobile and i had also hooked up a amp gauge to see if it was charging and it said it was and i also tested my brothers bike which is a gs 650 and they were both putting out the same, i had a wiring diagram from a manual about the bike and everything seemed to be where is was supposed be, so i have no idea what it is, i mean its just gotta be something in the wiring i missed. i also talked to a local bike shop and that guy said the regulater or recitifer?? im not sure how to see if those are working right. and my starter button quit working on me, so now i gotta take and touch the wire to the selonoid and that seems like its crapping out to cuz even when the charger is on it on high it will kinda click not tell the starter to engage, so i dont know whats goin on with it now.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          This thread is useless without pictures.
          trust me you dont wanna see this thing.

Comment

You got mufflers on this bobber of yours?
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              You got mufflers on this bobber of yours?
              no i dont its just a 4 into 1 header with a straight piece of stainless but i have suspected that not having anything for back pressure might be why it runs terrible, before i did anything to it had the 4 into 1 with a kirker exhaust and with that the bike moved pretty damn good for being a 550

Comment

The popping issue could be an air gap, thats what it was in mine at least. Either check the airbox to carbs, and carbs to block boots. also, you can start the bike and spray some carb cleaner around the boots and if the RPMs go up, there's a leak!

As far as the battery issue, im having the same thing. What I have diagnosed so far is that the R/R (Rectifier/Regulator) or your stator could be bad. When that happens, your battery doesnt charge and you get a dead bike. Lame

Comment

Working...
                X