Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrosport R/R and Stator still not doing the job...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This harness seems to be pretty melted, and has a few cancelled wires right on the harness (snipped at both ends). Does anyone know what this one is attached to?

Comment

That's a proper mess. fifteen volts will cook your battery. I hope you meant at 5.000 rpm it was between 14 and 15 volts. Download your shop manual, it should have a wiring diagram. http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...-SD-ED-ESD.pdf
      Last edited by OldVet66; 08-21-2013, 04:24 PM.
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
        That's a proper mess. fifteen volts will cook your battery. I hope you meant at 5.000 rpm it was between 14 and 15 volts. Download your shop manual, it should have a wiring diagram. http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...-SD-ED-ESD.pdf
        Will sort through the wiring diagram to figure out what that may be. I was just saying that a fifteenth of a volt extra is being drawn with the "low beam" setting, which I believe now to actually be both low and high beams at the same time. Not fifteen .

Is this a common issue with these wiring harnesses, or old wiring harnesses in general? What i mean by common issue is - melty connectors. What normally causes this

Thanks for stickin with me guys, i'm the first to admit i'm a newby and need all the help I can get!

Comment

What a mess POs all suck.

Comment

If your low beam filament and high beam filament came on at same time, this would draw maybe extra 5 amps from bulb ground to frame/harness ground. But I'm suprised bulb didn't overheat and just flame out.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by phillygrimace View Post
              1.) key off................Normal 12.7 volts-12.9 volts
              2.) key on (but not cranking with lights for 10 sec).....Normal 12.2-12.5 volts
              3.) at idle (1500 rpm).....12.6volts - 13.2volts
              4.) at 2500 rpm 13.5 -14.0 volts
              5.) at 5000 rpm.....14.0 -15.0 volts
              13.1 this test -- have seen as high as 14 though in past couple of days
              6.) key off.....slightly higher than measurements # 1 (12.8-13.0 v)
              Looks like a very healthy charging system I don't like the 15.0V but the old OEM spec goes as high as 15.5V IIRC

Most of the newer R/R's have a setpoint at 14.25.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                If your low beam filament and high beam filament came on at same time, this would draw maybe extra 5 amps from bulb ground to frame/harness ground. But I'm surprised bulb didn't overheat and just flame out.

Yep .................

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  Yep .................
                  I'm wondering if this is maybe the reason for the melted connectors on the headlamp, and down on the fuse box connector (the one pin that is connected to the lamp fuse within the box) ?

Comment

Candlepower has a nice ceramic replacement socket. I put one on my bike. http://store.candlepower.com/cesohb90be.html
                    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      Looks like a very healthy charging system I don't like the 15.0V but the old OEM spec goes as high as 15.5V IIRC

Most of the newer R/R's have a setpoint at 14.25.
                      I haven't seen 15.0v at all actually.. not sure where you guys are seeing that I wrote that. The highest i've seen with the headlamp fuse in is in the high 13s. Not sure if this means anything, but when the turn signals are firing, the headlamp is dimming in unison with the blinker

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                        Candlepower has a nice ceramic replacement socket. I put one on my bike. http://store.candlepower.com/cesohb90be.html
                        Ah, this looks like something I will be doing. Does anyone know of a replacement socket for the fusebox?

Comment

I haven't seen 15.0v at all actually.. not sure where you guys are seeing that I wrote that. The highest i've seen with the headlamp fuse in is in the high 13s. Not sure if this means anything, but when the turn signals are firing, the headlamp is dimming in unison with the blinker
                          You typed 14.0-15.0. which granted is a wide range but that is what your posted.

realize even a difference of 0.2-0.3 volt readings can give a different diagnosis of state of charging system depending upon which numbers so in that regard the only advice being offered is that 15.0 is too high.

Comment

he was quoting your typing here - http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...92#post1272192

"5.) at 5000 rpm.....14.0 -15.0 volts"

his data (in post# 13 above) is -

13.1 this test -- have seen as high as 14 though in past couple of days
                            1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
                            1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
                            1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Vanis View Post
                              he was quoting your typing here - http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...92#post1272192

"5.) at 5000 rpm.....14.0 -15.0 volts"

his data (in post# 13 above) is -
                              Yeah yeah, simple misunderstanding. I was quoting that though.

So after a few hours of tearing apart the headlamp basket and really looking into the harness at that end of the bike .. it seems like some kind of wiring modification was done after some sort of small electrical fire happened. There is one plastic socket that appears to be original and pretty melted. All the wires except one yellow with white stripe have been eliminated going through this socket towards the accessories. The side of this socket going to the main wiring harness run stays in tact, though. Also, there is one black with white stripe wire that is loose (terminated by itself) , and two brown (brown looking -- a bit color blind i am) wires that are loose and have plastic on the end terminating them together hanging inside the basket. These three wires (the black, and two brown) come from the same run as the headlamp wires. The headlamp socket (3 wires) is pretty melty, but still makes a good contact with the bulb (i assume because the lamp is working, and switching between high and low).

When on High beam, the voltage meeter gives me ok readings throughout the basic check. When on Low beam, the headlamp seems to draw a bit more voltage. Still, I am not seeing a solid 14.4 volts at 5,000 rpm. I'm thinking maybe I just need to accept for now that with the headlight on i'm only going to make 13.8 tops on the charging end of things. Could this be normal for this year GS?

Comment

Yeah yeah, simple misunderstanding. I was quoting that though.

So after a few hours of tearing apart the headlamp basket and really looking into the harness at that end of the bike .. it seems like some kind of wiring modification was done after some sort of small electrical fire happened. There is one plastic socket that appears to be original and pretty melted. All the wires except one yellow with white stripe have been eliminated going through this socket towards the accessories. The side of this socket going to the main wiring harness run stays in tact, though. Also, there is one black with white stripe wire that is loose (terminated by itself) , and two brown (brown looking -- a bit color blind i am) wires that are loose and have plastic on the end terminating them together hanging inside the basket. These three wires (the black, and two brown) come from the same run as the headlamp wires. The headlamp socket (3 wires) is pretty melty, but still makes a good contact with the bulb (i assume because the lamp is working, and switching between high and low).

When on High beam, the voltage meeter gives me ok readings throughout the basic check. When on Low beam, the headlamp seems to draw a bit more voltage. Still, I am not seeing a solid 14.4 volts at 5,000 rpm. I'm thinking maybe I just need to accept for now that with the headlight on i'm only going to make 13.8 tops on the charging end of things. Could this be normal for this year GS?
                                Sorry for mis reading the post, I see now you were quoting; no wonder you were having such stellar charging.

On the other hand after looking at your numbers you are barely charging. You will need to continue testing to find out.

I would do the Revised Phase A tests to see what the voltage drops are and then Revised Phase B. Sorry but you are charging but without any other equipment to test with you are faced with a process of elimination.

Charging at low 13's is not normal either the load is too high or your stator is going out (your tests confirm it is not the battery).

Comment

Working...
                                X