Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1978 GS750 changing from points to electric ignition what do I need to know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS750 changing from points to electric ignition what do I need to know?

Hi All,

I was originally going to get a gs850 but it didnt work out. I now have my eyes set on a 1978 GS750e....

I know it runs points, how much work and can somebody provide me some how to on changing the ignition to electric? I have seen some DYNA s kits. I am not that mechanical but I am persistent and like to work on things myself. Thanks for the help!

Check this out, I am planning on doing the same withing with my 750 (when I get it).
    http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...c_ignition.pdf Thanks to Stig Poulsen for the write up.

BassCliff has this hosted on his site along with a hell of a lot more useful guides.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-26-2013, 04:48 AM.

Comment

If you can follow instructions they are not hard to install at all. Just be careful the advance mechanism works freely after installing the rotor. The system works a lot better with the Dyna green coils and suppression wires. Keep in mind there is a low voltage threshold where an electronic ignition will not work so this is also a good opportunity to learn how to check your charging system's health before you start. The nice thing about the Dyna-S is that once it is properly set, you don't need to adjust it again.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

The Dyna S comes with installation instructions that are easy to follow. It is not difficult to install. Just read the steps and take your time.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

why doesn't everybody upgrade these then $100 bucks , DIY seems like a no brainer? Am I missing something.

Comment

Because when an EMP hits, I'll still be riding around, with my primitive Points! haha!

Comment

Originally posted by estcstm3 View Post
              why doesn't everybody upgrade these then $100 bucks , DIY seems like a no brainer? Am I missing something.
              They cost $100. There ae a lot of people that won't replace 30 year old tires and chains either. LOL
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Just make sure you buy the right one.
                -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Wow , just found this forum. Wish I would have a bit sooner. I have a 1978 GS750 . I just changed the points on my bike and did a terrible job of it because I had no timing light or other device to check the timing . So , I fried the points and now want to change over to the Dyna system . Anybody know if this will work with the stock coils on my bike , or do I have to upgrade them ?

Comment

Welcome to the forum. It will work without the Dyna green coils, but the Dyna coils produce a much hotter spark. You can always install the ignition first and upgrade the coils later. Even with The Dyna-S it's a good idea to use a timing light to set the module plate Cylinder 1-4 and the module for cylinder 2-3 on the plate. Module 2-3 is set close enough at the factory to run out of the box, but will require some adjustment to get it perfect. You don't have to set it with a timing light but with one you can check for proper timing advance.
                    Last edited by OldVet66; 08-28-2013, 07:56 AM.
                    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

So to do a full upgrade do you need the Dyna-S kit and the green coils? I'm looking to do a full update of my brother in laws GS550 to a more modern system that's more reliable and less maint.

Comment

Working...
                      X