Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the points stuffed?

G'day all,

I've got my '79 GS1000 project that I'm working on, trying to sleuth out a problem which is, I suspect, ignition-related. The details on that can wait, as my current question is fairly specific. Here goes:

There is a fair bit more sparking/arcing visible from the points which feed cylinders 1&4, when compared to the points which feed cylinders 2&3. The points of 1&4 spits a fairly constant little shower of tiny sparks out into the open air immediately around the gap, whereas the points of 2&3 only ever give the tiniest little spark inside the gap once in a while.

So, at first thought it had to be condenser-related. I tried another condenser, but the excessive arcing/ spitting of small sparks was unchanged. So then I swapped the condensers over, and the arcing still stayed with the points that feed cylinders 1&4.

Naturally, in the interests of further elimination, I'd like to swap the points over... but you can't do that as they are left/right specific, of course.

I have tried cleaning back the points for 1&4 with 400-grit emery (wet&dry) paper, but this only made it worse. And yes, I have gapped the points, set the timing, etc.

So my question is, Is the excessive arcing DEFINITELY a symptom of the points needing renewal? OR could this arcing be prompted/caused by something further on in the bike's circuitry, eg. a dodgy bit of wiring, or... ???

Thanks folks.

Mike.

Originally posted by tfb View Post
    G'day all,

I've got my '79 GS1000 project that I'm working on, trying to sleuth out a problem which is, I suspect, ignition-related. The details on that can wait, as my current question is fairly specific. Here goes:

There is a fair bit more sparking/arcing visible from the points which feed cylinders 1&4, when compared to the points which feed cylinders 2&3. The points of 1&4 spits a fairly constant little shower of tiny sparks out into the open air immediately around the gap, whereas the points of 2&3 only ever give the tiniest little spark inside the gap once in a while.

So, at first thought it had to be condenser-related. I tried another condenser, but the excessive arcing/ spitting of small sparks was unchanged. So then I swapped the condensers over, and the arcing still stayed with the points that feed cylinders 1&4.

Naturally, in the interests of further elimination, I'd like to swap the points over... but you can't do that as they are left/right specific, of course.

I have tried cleaning back the points for 1&4 with 400-grit emery (wet&dry) paper, but this only made it worse. And yes, I have gapped the points, set the timing, etc.

So my question is, Is the excessive arcing DEFINITELY a symptom of the points needing renewal? OR could this arcing be prompted/caused by something further on in the bike's circuitry, eg. a dodgy bit of wiring, or... ???

Thanks folks.

Mike.
    Arcing is normally caused by a bad condenser, not bad points. Either way there is something wrong with the points and(or) condensers and they need to be replaced. One thing you might want to check is the primary resistance of both ignition coils just to be sure excessive current isn't contributing to the problem.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Also, check to make sure the bike Has the correct coils.
      When I got my 750, it had 2 different types of coils. One coil was from a points ignition bike(4ohms, correct), but the Other coil was from an electronic ignition coil(2-3ohms, wrong). I replaced the coil, and the bike stopped "cratering" my points.

Comment

Working...
      X