Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ignitor box swap

hey guys,

I have an '81 650g. ignitor box toasted on me and as you know, these are expensive and hard to find. I picked up a used one from an 850 and wired her in. seems to work just fine, but are there any repercussions down the road from doing this? the part # was matching aside from 2 digits. any advise would be appreciated.

ken

if both was mechanical advance boxes then...no.
    no hidden secrets and part #'s don't always tell the tale.
    just ride and no worries.

Comment

thanks,

I bought this unit off ebay, so no idea if the donor bike was/was not mech adv. same vintage donor, so chances are pretty good it was ma

ken

Comment

It must have been if it's working fine... The electronic advance unit would not work at all or even if it did you would have so much total advance that it would probably not run or run really rough....
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Of course, you figured out why original got toasted ??- make sure you check charging system voltage in case R/R ain't happy.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

yup, my fault. I let the magic smoke out diagnosing/replacing stator and rectifier. she's coming along nice. 42.5 pilot jets, 112.5 mains and my own uni/velo stack combo.
            ken
            Last edited by Guest; 08-24-2013, 09:12 PM. Reason: picture

Comment

Working...
            X