Stator + reg/rec question (wiring)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator + reg/rec question (wiring)

i recently bought a replacement stator for my '84 GSXR 400, got it all into the engine and now have run into a small problem.
    the stock wiring had 3 bullet connectors for the stator instead of a clip, so i have no idea which wire was for which leg of the stator.. and which terminal on the reg/rec it connects to..

so my question is this, can i just arbitrarily hook up the leads for each of the legs and the reg rec will sort out which to use in which situation? or is there a specific a to a, b to b kind of setup?

any help is greatly appreciated..

for reference it's a 3 stage stator with a 5 prong reg/rec (power, gnd, and 3 prongs to stator)

Originally posted by Raid3n View Post
    i recently bought a replacement stator for my '84 GSXR 400, got it all into the engine and now have run into a small problem.
    the stock wiring had 3 bullet connectors for the stator instead of a clip, so i have no idea which wire was for which leg of the stator.. and which terminal on the reg/rec it connects to..

so my question is this, can i just arbitrarily hook up the leads for each of the legs and the reg rec will sort out which to use in which situation? or is there a specific a to a, b to b kind of setup?

any help is greatly appreciated..

for reference it's a 3 stage stator with a 5 prong reg/rec (power, gnd, and 3 prongs to stator)
    The order of the stator wires does not matter. Consider GS Charging Health (in my signature) in making your installation, especially grounds.

Comment

ahh thats good to hear, makes my life so much easier. i'll definitely check that out. thanks, posplayr.

Comment

Where the Hell have you been????
        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
        1983 GS 750

Comment

riding ;D and fighting with my charging system every day haha.

Comment

You got a GSXR400? Sweet! I want one. Got pics? Where did you get it??
            1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
            1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
            2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

ahh thats good to hear, makes my life so much easier. i'll definitely check that out. thanks, posplayr.
              Interesting, I never knew this bike existed. Got any pictures?

Comment

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like White13B.

i have a couple more but i think they're on my phone

i bought it here in vancouver, but it was originally only sold in asia and europe so it's an import (grey market)

there is also CBR400R and CBR400RR kicking around. my friend has an NSR400 so many awesome 400 sport bikes out there.

they are great cause they have decent power (mine is 59hp, 29ft-lb tq), and insurance is cheap. i pay around 70$/mth for insurance.

Comment

found another one, this is from last weekend i think.

Comment

Awesome. Yeah, very few of those in the states but I would love to get my hands on one. Yamaha brought quite a few of the FZR400's and of course Suzuki has the little 400cc bandit but nothing like those razor sharp CBR's and GSXR's from Japan.
                    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

aaaand now something new has popped up.

got it all hooked up and when i turn the key on the temp gauge shoots for the moon.
                      and no response from the starter when i press the start button :c

Comment

aaaand now something new has popped up.

got it all hooked up and when i turn the key on the temp gauge shoots for the moon.
                        and no response from the starter when i press the start button :c
                        Does this bike have an alternator?

Comment

stator, which i just replaced, and still doing it even with it disconnected =\

Comment

stator, which i just replaced, and still doing it even with it disconnected =\
                            obviously something funny is going on. Looks at what all you changed. Either reverse it or disconnect it to see if it goes away.

Comment

Working...
                            X