Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best regulator rectifier

Hello

I need to buy a r r and not sure which is the best and most reliable. Any advice or link would be great. I ride 82 gs 850 L.

Thanks

Originally posted by rockhammer View Post
    Hello

I need to buy a r r and not sure which is the best and most reliable. Any advice or link would be great. I ride 82 gs 850 L.

Thanks
    Best in what sense?

Compu Fire for performance

SH-775 for performance v.s .cost.

Comment

From what I gather the Compu-Fire 55402 is the "best" but you can get a Polaris one that'll do the job for about half the cost. These are of course series R/R's no one seemed to recommend the shunt style to me?

Comment

by the best I mean reliable not the most expensive but very reliable. 150 is a bit high. Anything in the 100 range. I ask because there are some out there but I read they may not be reliable. I know some one here knows of reliable RR.

Comment

by the best I mean reliable not the most expensive but very reliable. 150 is a bit high. Anything in the 100 range. I ask because there are some out there but I read they may not be reliable. I know some one here knows of reliable RR.
          There is not enough data on teh SH-775 to suggest whether it is anymore or less reliable than the compufire. The SH-775 is bigger making harder to fit but for $75 it is probably the "best" if cost is a consideration.

Bother are Series and will save your stator.

Comment

I did the Compu-Fire 55402 (per posplayr) and Rick's stator on mine. Happy as a pig in poop.

Comment

Originally posted by jona View Post
              I did the Compu-Fire 55402 (per posplayr) and Rick's stator on mine. Happy as a pig in poop.

This model fits the 82 gs850 L?

Comment

Make it fit. If it doesn't fit in the stock location, find somewhere else to put it. And redo the wiring before your harness melts down. Tons of info on what to do in the archives.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by jona View Post
                  Happy with the same combo on mine.
                  1980 GS1000E

Comment

Compu-Fire 55402

the other one you gotta make sure you buy the right one. possible but other have bought wrong so they spent the $ on the wrong thing and sorta wasted their $.

Compufire is straight forward. easy elect connections now too since the pis are avail at NAPA. noce weather proof connection. read the compufire thread (post 40 I think)

as far as hard $, compufire now on Amazon for $150 shipped. the $75(higher usually) doesn't include shipping so add another $10-$15 and you're close to $100. For me at least, the extra $50 was worth the peace of mind that I was getting the right thing and saving my stator.
                    1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
                    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
                    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

Shindengan SH775 and original stator for me. Bought the Polaris one from a dealer online. 70 bucks. Works great.
                      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Yes, the Compufire fits an '82 850L, we have one on my wife's bike.

By the way, the SH775 is the same format (size, shape) as the FH010 regulators that we were recommending before the series-types. That will also fit on the 850L, because we had one of them on there before the Compufire.

Both of them fit in the stock location, under the battery box, but you will have to do a little bit of adapting, due to different mounting bolt spacing. The easiest way to install it is to remove the battery box.

Get the Compufire if you want, but know that they are well over $150 (we got ours for $170). The Polaris unit is readily available for under $70 (plus shipping, of course).

Last edited by Steve; 09-03-2013, 11:07 PM.
                        sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Get the Compufire if you want, but know that they are well over $150 (we got ours for $170).
                          not

$154.68 shipped - http://www.amazon.com/Compu-Fire-Reg...A3TGC5XRRCX4P2

$154.78 shipped - http://www.amazon.com/Compu-Fire-Reg.../dp/B0035U7LRM

$145.78 + shipping - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3K61N6YVB6UD4

and other vendors - http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
                          Last edited by Andrew Vanis; 09-03-2013, 12:01 AM.
                          1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
                          1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
                          1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

The contentious Compufure works so well for me it is silly.
                            A lot more money but worth it I think when one thinks of pushing a bike.

Comment

I don't see any complaints on the Polaris units anywhere and they are being used on bikes all over the place, Triumphs, Can Am's, Kawasaki's, Suzuki's and so on. I think I'm kind of leaning that direction as they can be had for about 60-70 brand new and you can find them used even cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                              X