Best regulator rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rockhammer View Post
    I was not sure which other one to buy that would work on my bike for sure.
    Apparently you missed post #19.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Apparently you missed post #19.

I am sure I will be happy with the unit either way. I am not worried. I am just glad it is here and I can install today.

Comment

Is there a location in which I can find installation directions for the compufire? I did buy the parts and am trying to find installation guide on the resources but no luck.

Thanks

Comment

no installation guide (for any of these aftermarket R/Rs) this is really good though - http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=161397

short story install - replace the OEM R/R wire-for-wire (there are other wiring options but this one is the simplest)

black to ground
          red to positive
          the other three to the three coming out of the stator (in any order)
          1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
          1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
          1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Vanis View Post
            no installation guide (for any of these aftermarket R/Rs) this is really good though - http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=161397

short story install - replace the OEM R/R wire-for-wire (there are other wiring options but this one is the simplest)

black to ground
            red to positive
            the other three to the three coming out of the stator (in any order)
            Looks like the g/w wire loops back to the r/w wire. Do I just cut this out? Also Do I need to replace old wire going to stator with new heavier gauge wire? Or do I just use the old wire and add the new pins? I created another thread thinking it would be good to separate the subject for future users to search compufire install.

Comment

Also the red wire looks like it goes to the fuse box. Does this get removed since the rr has a 40 amp fuse on the positive side?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                It is my understanding that Electrex was recommended back then because Electrex was a sponsor of GSR.
                I could be mistaken (again).
                You are not mistaken!

I had to replace the starter clutch (dead when I bought the bike), so I, even though mine was charging OK, installed the Electrex at that time('96?).
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1352313915
                1979 GS1000

Comment

I can't find a sh775 , on back order .

Comment

Looks like the g/w wire loops back to the r/w wire. Do I just cut this out?
                    Standard practice is to eliminate that "mystery loop" and connect the wht/grn wire from the stator directly to the wht/red wire on the R/R. Since you are installing a new R/R that probably does not have a wht/red wire, just connect the three stator wires to the three inputs on the R/R.

Also Do I need to replace old wire going to stator with new heavier gauge wire? Or do I just use the old wire and add the new pins?
                    There is no need to replace anything with heavier wire.

Also the red wire looks like it goes to the fuse box. Does this get removed since the rr has a 40 amp fuse on the positive side?
                    That would depend on how you connect your new R/R. If you connect the red output wire of the R/R to the stock red wire, you can eliminate the 40 amp fuse. However, if you connect your new R/R directly to the battery, you will need a 20 or 25 amp fuse in the line (not a 40) between the R/R and the battery. You will also need to make sure you fully insulate the stock red wire that is now dangling, as it will be 'hot' all the time. you don't want it touching anything.

You will also need to change the MAIN fuse in the fuse box to something larger than 15 amps. 20 amps might be OK, 25 will work for sure. This is because of the R/R being connected directly to the battery. Now, all of the current necessary to run the bike will be going through the main fuse ALL the time, not just before the engine starts. In the stock configuration, the battery provides power (through the MAIN fuse) until the engine starts, then the R/R provides power (through that dangling red wire). When the engine is turning fast enough to make more electricity than the bike needs, the excess is sent back through the MAIN fuse, in the other direction, to charge the battery. Because the load is split between the bike and charging the battery, the fuse never has to handle more than 15 amps. When you move the R/R wire to the battery, EVERYTHING has to go through the fuse ALL the time.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X