Kokusan Electrics on 1977 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kokusan Electrics on 1977 GS550

I have a 77 GS550 and was planning to upgrade the Rectifier, Stator, possible ignition and coils...

Electrosport (and everywhere else) suggests 12 pole Stator and matching rectifier BUT when I removed the covers the Stator has a Kokusan Rotor and an 18 Pole Stator... Kokusan Ignition/points too.

Is this common and do I need a different Rectifier than the suggest for a 77GS550?

Any thoughts or input welcome. D

First, welcome to GSR.
    Second, while I can't answer the ignition question, the 18 pole stator and rotor is a good upgrade. Since this mod has been done, I suggest checking out your regulator and rectifier. It may have been swapped out for a combination Regulator/Rectifier already, another good upgrade.
    You will need to follow the wiring trail from your stator to your rectifier, or regulator/rectifier, as the case may be.

Comment

Some PO upgraded to 18 pole stator- be happy, it has slightly more voltage at low rpms. Why don't you test the charging system before buying stuff? here's a quickee test, report your results and you'll get honest advice

Do you have a seperate rectifier and regulator or was that upgraded to combo unit?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It was bad, bike ran for 30-45 mins once hot it shut down, battery was dead. Its been torn down to the frame for a complete rebuild-redesign. Ive rewired the whole bike and removed alot of excess wiring (like the lovely white-green and white-red that I spent a day n half chasing). So I figured replace them and have a much better running motor. Seems the Kokusan set up was 'stock' on some 77 versions but uses the same rotor, stator etc from an 80 L/M version... been chasing my tail trying to figure it out. I just need to make sure I get the right R/R, I cant seem to find out the difference between the ESR100 or the ESR090... same output so whats the difference?

Comment

It's nice that your stator has been upgraded to an 18-pole, but you need to also verify that the rotor has been upgraded. The easiest way is to simply check the output voltage of the stator. If you are getting 70-90 volts with the engine at 5000 RPM, you have the correct rotor. If you are getting very LOW numbers (maybe 10-20 volts) you still have the older 12-pole rotor.

If that is the case, you need to change your rotor before changing anything else.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Rotor has 6 pairs of magnets (I checked with the ole magnet test) which I believe is for an 18 pole stator?

Comment

There is no particular "right" model R/R for your bike as long as it is a 35A three phase R/R. The one of choice today is the Shindengen SH-775 series R/R that goes under the alias of a Polaris part number 35A 3PH Series Regulator 105C 4012941 found on a 2011 Polaris R11HR76AG/AR Ranger 6X6 800 EF.
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
              X