NOOO. My GS550L Will Not Turn Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOOO. My GS550L Will Not Turn Over

The starter solenoid clicks when I push the starter button. I don't think this has a neutral switch, so that's not the issue.

The starter cranked a few weeks ago. I subsequently had a small fire (didn't do any damage). I put it out with baking soda, then sprayed it off the top of the transmission with a hose. Just to make sure, I cranked the starter afterwards and it was fine.

Now I just took everything apart, cleaned the air induction system and all of the lights work, gauges, etc. But the starter solenoid just clicks. I hooked my car battery up to the battery via jumpers- still no dice- clicky click click.

I can't but fear it's the starter. Maybe some water got into the case and fried it? Man, I hope not. The fuses look good and I tried jumping the solenoid- no dice .

HELP!

yea. The starter just bogs. I must have gotten baking soda and water in there and killed it. I think I'm done with this bike for a while. Taking the carb off again is such a pain in the butt.

on another note, the petcock isn't letting fuel floe while in prime. Sure. There's no vacuum, but that shouldn't matter...?

Comment

I'd pull the starter motor out and inspect- maybe baking soda and water has gummed up brushes so it can't draw juice from solenoid. Do it soon or starter will rust up and be hard to save
      Get a new petcock and check tank
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by DavidT View Post
        on another note, the petcock isn't letting fuel floe while in prime. Sure. There's no vacuum, but that shouldn't matter...?
        What year is your bike?

If it is an '80 and has that "dreaded '80 petcock", it will take a brief "puff" of vacuum to get fuel flowing in PRIme, then it will keep flowing until you move the petcock back to RUN or the tank runs out of gas.

As far as I know, this is the only year that was "blessed" with that blasted device.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

If it is an '80 and has that "dreaded '80 petcock", it will take a brief "puff" of vacuum to get fuel flowing in PRIme, then it will keep flowing until you move the petcock back to RUN or the tank runs out of gas.
          Thanks for mentioning that, Steve. My '80 550L does that "take a brief puff" thing and I thought it was just my imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            What year is your bike?

As far as I know, this is the only year that was "blessed" with that blasted device.

That explains EVERYTHING for the issues I've been dealing with since I got mine nearly a decade ago!! Only, my '80 didn't have a PRIme position, just on and reserve. I carried a vacuum pump with me (in the saddle bag) so I could "prime" if I happened to run out (ie. need to switch to reserve) at a stoplight or while not on the move. I rebuilt the petcock and the vacuum diaphragm didn't last a year. I had some other issues and a leaky tank anyway, so I have an eBay tank and new petcock on the way (this one I made sure has a PRIme setting). BTW do you recommend keeping the vacuum system or switching to a gravity feed?

Comment

Working...
            X