Mitsuba starter shim pack 850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mitsuba starter shim pack 850G

I have a two brush Mitsuba starter motor. There is about 3/8" 10mm end float in the armature and only one lonesome shim at the brush end. I was expecting a bunch of shims at each end and a spring at the drive end. Any thread I've found here has no detail about the how to stack shims apart from replace in same order , which is not much use for this case. Motor spins ok but there is one spot inside where the armature looks like it could be touching.
    Centering the comm on the brushes would seem like a good idea as would taking up float , putting in a spring and leaving 40 thou free ? Why do I think I can't use any old shim but need non-magnetic
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

The parts diagrams show a shim set; but if you got 10mm float in armature, someone has erred. I'd head to an shop that repairs auto starters- they can correct this slop and center brushes over commutator. You don't want armature dragging on magnets.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      The parts diagrams show a shim set; but if you got 10mm float in armature, someone has erred. I'd head to an shop that repairs auto starters- they can correct this slop and center brushes over commutator. You don't want armature dragging on magnets.
      Thanks Tom , had forgotten about the auto electric shop across the river. Now that I think of it I owe him , he fitted a new alternator freewheel on the cage for me for free.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
      X