No announcement yet.

81 850 g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks steve.I dont know how you know all this.I wont ever drive a bike with wires like that, but it is good to know in case of emergency sometime.Hopefully the guy will fix the ignition key on monday.If not I will look online for one.The ones they sell at autozone are for keys which could eventually be wired up but it would be hard to figure out.I will buy a bike ignition if necessary. And the other gentleman that posted ere about pods, I never had problems with my other gs with pods. Thanks for your expertise.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless View Post
      Thanks steve.I dont know how you know all this.
      I am comfortable with electrical problems and I can read a wiring diagram.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I am comfortable with electrical problems and I can read a wiring diagram.

yessir, I believe you.
        future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

I tried 3 times to pm you.It didnt work for some reason.In short, thank you so much for your help.The previous owner obviously didnt know what he was doing.I will unziptie the igniter and ground it properly.Hopefully I will get the igniton switch back today.if he cant get a key to work i will buy a new switch.The original one had all the settings written on it,like on,off,park,run.I doubt the new one will.Heres hoping.

Comment

i think these 2 wires are right

Looks like he didnt mess this up.One red wire, about 12 gauge wrapped in cloth goes to igniter.other one goes to positive post of battery. IMG_20130915_103058.jpg (38.1 KB)

Comment

bridge to nowhere

I looked at this wire,it was under left post of solenoid as seen in the picture.I followed it, its about 12 ga black.It went along the frame under the bottom of tank and up near the orange white and orange wire he had cut.I suppose he was going to tie it to them.No way a wire that big would have belonged up front.I think its the ground wire for the solenoid.I was thinking about grounding it to the frame.There isnt enough room on the negative battery post to squeeze it under there.Also you see the other blue connector, it has the yellow with green stripe that the other end up by the forks he had cut when he cut the o/w wires.There is no way in the world this bike could start and or run the way he jacked it up. IMG_20130915_105222.jpg (40.9 KB)

Comment

I tried 3 times to pm you.It didnt work for some reason.
                Funny, I got three PMs.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Ok.Sorry.Under the sent column It doesnt show anything was sent.This black wire hanging down is about 10 ga, about 18 inches long,braided wire,goes to nowhere.I cant imagine what to do with it, but he had it under one of the large posts of the solenoid.I will probably ground it to the frame.

Comment

If it is attached to one of the solenoid's large terminals it isn't a ground, it's battery voltage, and grounding it will get pretty exciting pretty fast.

It might be the power for the coil relay modification, depending on which side of the solenoid it's on.
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-15-2013, 03:21 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Originally posted by JayWB View Post
                      If it is attached to one of the solenoid's large terminals it isn't a ground, it's battery voltage, and grounding it will get pretty exciting pretty fast.

It might be the power for the coil relay modification, depending on which side of the solenoid it's on.
                      See,one of the problems is someone put the solenoid on in the first place.its an automotive solenoid.it has 2 small terminals instead of 1.The right side as you look at it has the red wire to the ignitor and another from that post up to the positive terminal of the battery.The big post.The small post on the right side has the yellow with green stripe under it, which originated back at the right handlebar switch.The left big post has a wire connected directly to the starter as it should.My thinking is this, the guy took the ignitor loose and has it hanging by a zip tie.he used a car solenoid.The ones in the garden tractor section at lowes have one small terminal and 2 big posts as the bike one probably had.he had one small post with no idea what to do with it, so he hooked another black wire with its end stripped to hook to whatever he had in mind. The appropriate wire to the starter is under the left big post. Left is as you face the bike on the shifter side, with left being toward the front of the bike and right being toward the tailight.Therefore, I think i can just take it off completely, it serves no purpose as i can tell.
                      Last edited by ron bayless; 09-15-2013, 03:38 PM.

Comment

If I have deciphered your post correctly you have a four post automotive solenoid, two large and two small posts.

One large post is connected to the battery positive and also supplies power to the igniter.

The other large post goes to the starter and also has your black mystery wire connected to it.

One small post has a wire going up to your starter button.

If this is correct grounding your mystery wire would be a mistake and would result in a direct battery to ground short when you hit the starter button.

Comment

If I have deciphered your post correctly you have a four post automotive solenoid, two large and two small posts.

One large post is connected to the battery positive and also supplies power to the igniter.

The other large post goes to the starter and also has your black mystery wire connected to it.No, the mystery wire is not under the large post, it is under the small post, which the bike solenoid would never have had.

One small post has a wire going up to your starter button.

If this is correct grounding your mystery wire would be a mistake and would result in a direct battery to ground short when you hit the starter button.
                          Sounds perfectly right to me.I think the small post with the mystery wire needs to have the mystery wire removed and leave the post unused.All the other wires you spoke of are as you wrote.I appreciate your input.
                          Last edited by ron bayless; 09-15-2013, 04:06 PM. Reason: added words

Comment

Ok.Sorry.Under the sent column It doesnt show anything was sent.
                            If you go into the User CP tab, then to Settings and Options, then look over on the right side, go to the Messaging and Notification section, Private Messaging sub-section. You will see an option to "Save a copy of sent messages in my Sent Items folder by default." To me, this should be a forum default and would have to be dis-abled, rather than enabled.

Sounds perfectly right to me.I think the small post with the mystery wire needs to have the mystery wire removed and leave the post unused.
                            Try that, it might work and it might not. You might need to ground that second small terminal.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

"The other large post goes to the starter and also has your black mystery wire connected to it. No, the mystery wire is not under the large post, it is under the small post, which the bike solenoid would never have had."

In this case, the wire in question is either to provide power to operate the solenoid or to provide a ground for it.

If the wire to the starter button provides 12 volts with the button depressed the solenoid will need a ground to complete the circuit, and that ground would be your mystery wire. If the starter button GROUNDS the solenoid, the mystery wire provides the 12 volts to power it.

Check the starter button wire with a voltmeter with the button depressed. If it goes to 12 volts, ground the mystery wire. If it stays at 0 volts attach the mystery wire to the large post with the battery wire.

EDIT:
                              since the starter button will only actually do anything under the circumstances necessary to actually start the motor, when doing the above test you have to also:
                              1. have the key turned on.
                              2. have the kill switch in the "RUN" position
                              3. pull the clutch in
                              Last edited by Guest; 09-15-2013, 04:57 PM. Reason: Correction

Comment

"The other large post goes to the starter and also has your black mystery wire connected to it. No, the mystery wire is not under the large post, it is under the small post, which the bike solenoid would never have had."

In this case, the wire in question is either to provide power to operate the solenoid or to provide a ground for it.

If the wire to the starter button provides 12 volts with the button depressed the solenoid will need a ground to complete the circuit, and that ground would be your mystery wire. If the starter button GROUNDS the solenoid, the mystery wire provides the 12 volts to power it.

Check the starter button wire with a voltmeter with the button depressed. If it goes to 12 volts, ground the mystery wire. If it stays at 0 volts attach the mystery wire to the large post with the battery wire.

EDIT:
                                since the starter button will only actually do anything under the circumstances necessary to actually start the motor, when doing the above test you have to also:
                                1. have the key turned on.
                                2. have the kill switch in the "RUN" position
                                3. pull the clutch in
                                OK Jay.Will do.Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X