Bike dies when headlight is on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike dies when headlight is on...

Took bike out for a ride and noticed the headlight dim. Bike eventually died on me. Turned everything off on the bike and kick started it, it runs fine.. As soon as I turn on headlight it dies. Any ideas on what usually causes this, keeping in mind I just bought new battery and it was fully charged. Not sure where to start from stator? regulator? rectifier? not so sure how to properly troubleshoot

Go through the stator papers and you might find your answer. Sounds like things are not charging properly.

Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thank you for pointing in right direction. Will take a good read and post progress.

Comment

No worries. Just a side note, it really helps when you have your bike in your signature, just makes the answers go a little smoother. Glad to see another GS on the road.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Sounds like a potentially bad ground

Comment

What bike are we talking about?

Actually, it doesn't make much difference (this time around), but some bikes have specific problems that are not found in others.

Even though the battery was "fully charged", how long was it before you noticed the dim light and the dying? If it was more than half an hour or so, it's quite possible that your bike is not charging at all and the battery is simply DEAD now.

A few minutes with a multimeter and this guide will tell you where your problem lies.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It is a 1978 Suzuki GS 750 (nd) ignition / I read through the info and took my new multi meter, and literally checked everything from grounds to proper volts. Turned out to be a connector, one of those clip on connectors chopped it out and soldered my connections. So far no issues while driving at night with headlight on. I appreciate the info. on the electrical end of this bike. Those links are like a trouble shooting bible. On a side note I got her up and running nice, absolutely love this old bike.

Comment

Finally got a couple pics up as well, any pointers on how to dress her up, I wanna hear'em

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. mr.matka,

Sorry I'm late with this. You'll find a lot of helpful information in the links below. It's your "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
                  Help! Your Bike Won't Start
                  DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                  Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
                  Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                  X