'82 GS450L Headlight question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS450L Headlight question

So I have the dreaded sealed headlight and would like to know if anyone has converted this model bike to a halogen or HID headlight using stock harness or close to stock harness?

Ideally I would like to use the stock housing and housing ears as well but I seriously doubt that's possible. So if necessary I'd consider replacing that as well.

The connection at the back of the headlight is the same as a bike that uses a standard H4 bulb. If I recall though, the GS450 light is 6.25"?

If it's any help, a GS500E (from 1989 to 2002) uses an H4 light, but is a 7" diameter.

Comment

any ideas how to convert one to the other? I found getting the bulb mounted was the problem cause the sealed beam also had mounting hardware attached to it that mounted the bulb inside its housing

Comment

Unbolt the sealed beam in its entirety (housing and all). If you go with the GS500 light, you'll probably have to bend the headlights ears to compensate for the extra width. Then get bolts that fit the GS500 headlight housing. It is fairly easy once you get started.

Comment

Sounds great. So I'd just have to get the housing and bulb for the GS550E (specifically that model or any 550) years 1989 - 2002?
          Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2013, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Not the GS550...... GS500. There is a GS500E (the naked model made from 89 to 2002 or so), and they made a GS500F (added a fairing in 2004).

Search eBay for GS500 headlight. Round = probably works.

Comment

Yeah, sorry, meant GS500

Comment

Are you referring to one like this?

Or this?

I just measured the forks are 8" apart (outside edge to outside edge) and they're welded onto the forks (my existing ears.) Is there a way to remove those if necessary and put on new ones that might accommodate a larger headlight bucket?
                Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2013, 10:16 PM.

Comment

The first one. The second is from China, and not DOT approved that I saw.

They are not welded. Just pressure fit between the triple trees. There are universal headlight mounts on eBay (as other online stores), but you might not really need them - assuming you can bend your current mounts and twist them on the forks.

Comment

Working...
                  X