trying to make it live again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trying to make it live again.

A while back I bought a 79gs 1000. It had been on fire under he seat which destroyed the wiring harness. The PO had tried to rewire it but made a mess. I am trying to get it to run to check it out before I through a lot of money replacing a lot of parts. I did find one coil was bad and the other one is firing but it looks a little weak. As I was trying to simplify the ignition wiring I found the a white and blue wire going to what I think is the rectifier. My question is, can the bike be made to run with the wire broken loose or is that only for the charging system?
    My plan is to get it running and because of its over all poor condition, chopping it and simplifying everything I can. Thanks.

First of all,

Next, the only white/blue wire that I am aware of is between the stator and the rectifier. If that is disconnected, you will not have all of your charging ability available. These bikes have little enough in reserve, it will need to be connected.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have my lawn mower battery hooked to it right now. If the wire is unhooked it still should run just not charge? I am thinking I will need to replace the points and condensers. I would like to simplify everything as much as possible. Would it be more economical in the long run to convert to Dyna ignition?

Comment

Greeetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. wvrockman,

For lots of background and maintenance information, as well as a couple of simplified wiring diagrams, you are welcome to click on the links below and go through all the available resources. It's your "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
        Help! Your Bike Won't Start
        DON'T DO THESE THINGS
        Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
        Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X