'86 GS550 Ignition & Timing Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'86 GS550 Ignition & Timing Questions

I picked up a basket case GS550EF, and I am looking to build my own CDI Igniter using the original pickup coils. Reading the manual I have figured out how to process the signal and what the output to the coils needs to be, but I can't seem to find a few pieces of information.

I know the ignitor controls the timing advance, but I can't seem to find the initial advance, max advance, and at what RPM max advance is achieved.

I also can't find what the output voltage of the pickup coils should be (The trigger voltage, not average). This I could determine myself though. The service manual I have indicates that a negative pulse is sent to trigger at the correct minimum advance, and a positive pulse is sent at maximum advance. As long as this is correct and there isn't a couple of degrees delay in between the trigger pulse and the spark firing then construction should be fairly simple.

My plan is to build a unit based around a cheap micro controller. The total cost would be around $20, use the original ignition system (minus ignitor), and be fully programmable for added advance. This could be a very nice DIY replacement for a part that is getting harder and harder to find.

the basics just off the top of my head - may be a little off but will work excellently

11~13 original degrees

jump it to 32~36 at 1800~2000 rpms

pick up coils have 100 ~ 800 ohms and will send approx 0.3 ACV signal ..

you can get a swing needle meter and swipe a screwdriver by the pick up to test my accuracy.

GPZ 750 igniters have the advance inside .. GS1150 do too.-- pulsers are common and brains swap easy
    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
      the basics just off the top of my head - may be a little off but will work excellently

11~13 original degrees

jump it to 32~36 at 1800~2000 rpms

pick up coils have 100 ~ 800 ohms and will send approx 0.3 ACV signal ..

you can get a swing needle meter and swipe a screwdriver by the pick up to test my accuracy.

GPZ 750 igniters have the advance inside .. GS1150 do too.-- pulsers are common and brains swap easy
      Awesome! That's exactly what I was looking for! I'm waiting on a few parts to come in the mail, then I'll post what I come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post

So if I have to scrap the project and buy a new igniter, a Kawi 750 or '80+ GS1150 unit would be a direct fit? (After I splice in the wiring I'm assuming) The previous owner cracked into my ignitor, so at this point it has to go. If I can find a used one cheap that'll get the bike running while I'm construction my custom ignitor.

Comment

hmm the precise timing is in the manual
          look it up on basscliff's website

Comment

Working...
          X