Stator Replacement Checklist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator Replacement Checklist

I'm ordering parts to replace the stator on my '81 GS450L. I'm at school out of state and am planning on going home for a long weekend and trying to bang this out (so that I can maybe ride the bike back). As a consequence of my timeframe I want to make sure I have everything I need the day of. Heres my 'to order' list as well as tentative places I will be buying from.
    I don't know how most people feel about ebay but its easy to find things and I've generally had good results in the past.

1. Stator*
    2. Side cover gasket: Ricks Gasket
    3. Oil filter + oil filter gasket + oil: K&n filter with gasket
    4. New stator cover bolts: Something like these

5. And also one of these for good measure: Rick's R/R
    6. Impact tool to get old engine screws out: Amazon

*Okay so from what I've gathered (please let me know if I'm wrong). The reason that these stators often go bad is due to the R/R and NOT a faulty stator. Can somebody give me a compelling reason why I should not buy one of these and replace the R/R: Used stator covers with stator.

If the general consensus is against the used one this was my second choice: Caltric
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
    I'm ordering parts to replace the stator on my '81 GS450L. I'm at school out of state and am planning on going home for a long weekend and trying to bang this out (so that I can maybe ride the bike back). As a consequence of my timeframe I want to make sure I have everything I need the day of. Heres my 'to order' list as well as tentative places I will be buying from.
    I don't know how most people feel about ebay but its easy to find things and I've generally had good results in the past.

1. Stator*
    2. Side cover gasket: Ricks Gasket
    3. Oil filter + oil filter gasket + oil: K&n filter with gasket
    4. New stator cover bolts: Something like these

5. And also one of these for good measure: Rick's R/R
    6. Impact tool to get old engine screws out: Amazon

*Okay so from what I've gathered (please let me know if I'm wrong). The reason that these stators often go bad is due to the R/R and NOT a faulty stator. Can somebody give me a compelling reason why I should not buy one of these and replace the R/R: Used stator covers with stator.

If the general consensus is against the used one this was my second choice: Caltric
    get an SH-775 they are available from Polaris dealers. Do a search several people are sourcing them. It is a SERIES R/R and will avoid future stator issues.

Comment

Not sure about buying a used Stator...They can be tested (sort of). See Stator Papers. For another 15 bucks you can get the new one.

When I pulled my side cover off to clean it up, I checked my stator. Putting it all back together was no big deal but did take some time. I would probably go with the new stator just to be sure I did not have to do the whole process over again if the used one was bad.

Seems to me that you have everything you need listed above.

Good Luck.

Comment

Get your gaskets from the dealership as the stock ones are better, many of us prefer Boulevard Suzuki as they have very reasonable prices. Also, a Sears impact driver isn't that expensive and has very good bits (or pick up a Harbor Freight one and get the bits at Sears).
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Don't buy an ebay stator unless you see close up of windings- lots of these critters have been BBQ'ed and it shows. the Caltric is a better deal at $60
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Okay I'm going to go with a new stator.

Also from the looks of this, it looks like I need two gaskets for the side cover, #17 and #2 - am I misreading the diagram?

And also this impact tool from Sears.

To sum it up:

1. Stator: $60
            2. Side cover gasket: $11
            3. Oil filter + gasket: $11
            4. Impact tool: $20
            5. Cover bolts: ~$20
            6. R/R: $60
            Total: $182 with R/R $122 without. Overall not bad assuming I don't mess anything up!
            Last edited by sam000lee; 10-06-2013, 11:36 AM.
            1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
            1977 GS550

Comment

Top for the which gaskets I need question!
              1977 GS550

Comment

You need gasket #17, magneto. Gasket #2 goes on the other side for the clutch cover.

Comment

ahhhhhh......he's got an entire engine block in between those two gaskets...ahhhhhhhhh
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Yeah, it is a bit deceiving, but perhaps better than hunting around for the other gasket. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Comment

If you have a bit of spare cash and can get a good deal, you may as well order the clutch gasket at the same time and save on future shipping costs...
                      '83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I would throw in a soldering iron and some shrink tube in order to delete the main overheated connectors that hastened along the demise of your original charging system. I would at a minimum, solder the three stator wires, and the r/r OUTPUT WIRE. sorry for the accidental cap lock.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

... and I could suggest Loctite for the three stator fasteners.

We can all argue & get really belligerent about which Loctite, but I wound up pulling my cover a second time because of nagging doubts. (I think I wound up using Green...).

There was / is a user here who had a stator screw back out on him, and it caused catastrophic damage.
                          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                          __________________________________________________ ______________________
                          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I had one back out and chip the rotor on mine
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Okay thanks all - I hadn't thought about the locktite thing. Doing this over thanksgiving weekend I'll let you know how it goes.
                              1977 GS550

Comment

Working...
                              X