Battery not holding charge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery not holding charge?

I have minimal bike knowledge so here is the situation.

I was just trying to get the bike to start so i could sell it (sadly)

81 GS400L
    Has been sitting a long time, so just charged the battery and installed it.

1st attempt wouldn't fire, set to Prime, it fired, rev'd high from choke, i didn't ease up on the choke quick enough and it shut off.

2nd attempt: fired up right away on prime, almost caught the choke in time to control it a bit but rev'd high and shut off.

3rd attempt: now it sounds like the battery is not completely dead but all out of 'juice', barely shows any life trying to turn over. the lights and horn work.

I posted a wee video here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj8IO...ature=youtu.be

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Guest; 10-12-2013, 04:09 AM.

Sounds like the battery is dead. They don't last forever and long periods of inactivity shorten their lives. Being sitting for a long time it could well have stale gas which will make it harder to fire and stay running. How old is the battery and how long is the bike sat idle?
    Video is cool - might visit Alberta
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

And what type of a battery is it? Lead acid? They have the shortest life of all battery types.

Comment

Poor bike hasnt been taken for a ride in about 9 months. Charged the battery in June fired up let it run for a bit, August went to start it up but had no gas, put gas in and fired up. Now in October tried again with recharged battery and starting, to no success.
        The battery i believe is lead acid. Name brand is Yuasa and 12 v?

Comment

I was wondering what your Alberta comment was about, I posted the wrong video.
          here is the video about the bike. haha.

Charged my motorcycle battery, installed then Fired up twice then did this....

I figure the battery is dead too, just didnt want to buy another one if the bike could be causing the battery to go dead after a couple of starts.

thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Do yourself a favor:
            Get an AGM battery. They last years.
            Occasionally put it on a trickle charger just to let it know you care.

Comment

Will do,Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
              X