Smallest size battery I can use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smallest size battery I can use?

I would like to get the smallest size (dimension) battery I can to hide somewhere on the bike to open up the middle of the bike. So far the electronics will be mounted under the seat pan, but the hump in the back fender where I plan on mounting the battery is pretty small. I've looked at AG and Shorai 12v/14a batteries, but they are still pretty big. Can I go down at all in amps because it seems the lower the amps, the actual size of the batteries get smaller. I thought about converting to kickstart, but from a quick search it looks like I would need to replace the engine.

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by Guest; 10-12-2013, 07:40 PM.

I have one of these http://www.odysseybattery.com/

very small and light and very powerful.

I foget my dimensions but they have an applications chart somewhere on the site.

Comment

How many ah battery did you buy? Looking at the service manual it says 12v/14ah so I'm not sure if I can go smaller in ah.

Comment

Mine is supposed to be 10ah at least stock battery is that spec.

I am sure my present one is 8 ish

regardless I think the CCA must hold me in good stead because my bike cranks like a bastard and starts first throttle hit with full choke.

ah alone may not be the critical factor.

Comment

PC 310 I am sure is what I have
          again the bike works fine.

Comment

So if your running a 8ah on the 550e I wonder if I have to go up a little since mine is the 750cc. I'm trying to get the smallest size since the 12ah that closely matches stock won't fit under the rear hump on the bike. I'm just confused if I base my search on only ah, cold cranking amps, ect...

Comment

If posplayr was only here.

I am pretty sure that the battery spec is related to the sum of all electrical drains on it.

After the lights and the coils I should think the greatest factor impacting a battery would be the starter.
              The bigger engine would have a greater mas to spin along with a possibly higher compression ration to deal with.

Perhaps two smallish batteries wired in parallel would more than meet the bill.

Comment

Cranking is the biggest load. If it's tuned perfectly and always starts at the first touch of the button you can use a tiny battery. Anything goes wrong and you are push starting.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

So looking at the service manual it says: 12v 50.4kkC (14Ah)10HR. Does this mean that its a 12v/14Ah battery I need? I don't see anything in the manual about cold cranking specs I need unless the numbers above indicate that. I'm basing this on the GS750 16valve manual I got off bikecliffs site.

Comment

Yeah I dunno how small a suaitable battery could be

has some food for thought

Comment

What Suzuki recommends and what you need are two different things.

Do you really need to be able to crank it for several minutes? My GSes always start in a second or less, cold or hot. One of my 750s would start if you flicked the button with your fingernail, every time.

I could have used a handful of AAA batteries.
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

This is a link that shows format information

Sorry bout only knowing bout one manufacturer

Comment

What about this Odyssey?PC545-

http://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/pc545-p

Specifications

Pulse (5-second) Hot Cranking Amps (PHCA) 460 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) 150 20Hr Nominal Capacity (Ah) 13 Reserve Capacity Minutes 18 Dimensions L x W x H (in) 7.00x3.38x5.17 Metric Dimensions L x W x H (mm) 117.8x85.9x131.3 Weight (lbs) 11.4 Weight (kg) 5.2
                          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1352313915
                          1979 GS1000

Comment

These batteries are bigger than the what the op is probably looking for, but for general information, at least, I posted a couple links

I bought a couple of the same spec batteries for a couple bikes (they call for the same battery).
                            I think odyssey batteries look like they are good for the money, I had not seen them before. Thanks for the link.

Here's a deka link:

Battery for the GS1000 (12ah)

Last edited by gsgeezer; 10-12-2013, 09:55 PM.
                            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1352313915
                            1979 GS1000

Comment

Size wise I'm looking at more of something like below, but it's a Lithium so I would like to find a AG battery with the same or slightly bigger dimensions. Plus this is damn expensive!

Comment

Working...
                              X