No announcement yet.

Smallest size battery I can use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My KTM came with an AGM battery smaller than that, it spun the heck out of my GS550 starter, and it's only something like $26

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That is an ideal size for the customizer, but I know what you mean about the price!

1979 GS1000

Comment

Just something I saw, pertaining mainly to battery longevity-

1979 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Cranking is the biggest load. If it's tuned perfectly and always starts at the first touch of the button you can use a tiny battery. Anything goes wrong and you are push starting.
          Without doing a lot of analysis on contributing factors that is about it. You only need amp hours if you are cranking a lot. Your smaller battery will actually charge faster providing you with peak cranking performance faster than a larger battery. If you have a series r/r and don't spend a lot of time idling at 1k rpm you will be good with the smaller battery. Just keep charging system in peak performance.

Comment

He could just buy the smaller size odyssey, then. Sounds good!

1979 GS1000

Comment

GS850 Rebuild

Bought this and am installing now

240cca cranks over the 850 no probs

Will be sitting under my seat

Comment

Can report the battery cranks amazingly well ! Instant start no hassles.

Comment

Antigravity

That 'Antigravity' looks to be about the same size as my dinosaur battery. Does anyone have any figures on weight savings?

For some reason, I had always assumed that the lithium-ion batteries were much smaller than old style. Guess I'm wrong.

So they mount exactly where the original was, and there's weight, but no space saved?
                  Last edited by Rob S.; 01-17-2014, 11:25 PM.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Technical Details
                    240 Cranking Amps- (Cranking Amps are the power the battery has)
                    9Ah (PB Eq) – Amp Hours are the Capacity of a Battery
                    Dimensions and Weight
                    USA SIZE (LxWxH) 4.25″ x 2.25″ x 3.75″ (Height is measured to the top of the terminal bolt heads)
                    USA WEIGHT 1lb 9oz
                    METRIC SIZE (LxWxH) 110mm x 57mm x 95mm (Height is measured to the top of the terminal bolt heads)

Comment

The space saving comes with the ability to mount the battery anywhere in any positiion.
                      upside down if you want to !
                      Something that cannot be done with standard lead acid batteries.

Comment

How well does it work wuith the GS charging system? I believe that lithium batteries need a special charging system?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                        X