Cracked...Need to replace stator rotor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked...Need to replace stator rotor?

I spent the evening tearing down the motor and noticed this out of the corner of my eye.

Will I need to replace the rotor...or the plate it is mounted to?

That is the starter clutch which is bolted to the rotor with very strong loctite if I remember correctly and was very difficult to remove when I replaced my rotor last January. I would put up a post in the parts wanted section for at least a new clutch and possibly the entire assembly. Also check EBay for old ones.

Please put your bike information in your signature file though; it will help someone say they can send you one if they know what you have.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Nothing to replace. Just pull the rotor and remove the starter clutch and the dowels and springs inside. Weld the cracks shut and grind them and file the area so its relatively smooth again.

Be sure to degrease the bolts and the threads of the holes with carb or brake spray so the red loctite will adhere solidly when yo rebolt it to the rotor.

All that hole is for is to stick a papewr clip into to hold the spring plungers abck while sliding it back over the rotor. I never use them. You can just app,ly some pre4ssure and wiggle then starter clutch around till the dowels pop over the rim. So what I am saying is that IF you want to puddle the hole full of weld also you wont be screwing yourself here. Weld and grind it back to shape and be done with it.
      Last edited by chuck hahn; 10-13-2013, 10:01 AM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Personally. I would replace it the starter clutch, and the bolts holding it to the stator. I don't like the idea of a cracked thing, or an unbalanced welded formerly cracked thing spinning around on the end of my crank shaft. It would take a lot of grinding to chase the whole crack out, and if you don't, its still cracked. The starter clutch is expensive, but I think you need a new one. I would replace the bearing(s) under the idler gear on the crank shaft too. Last one I replaced, I replaced the idler gear as well. The original seemed too loose of a fit on the bearing.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Which is why i said to grind and reshape it..maybe i should have more accurately said this..Grind the welds down and leave slightly high. Finish detailing with files till its smooth and contoured to match the original facing.

Its not gonna make the bikes crank wobble. shimmy or anything else Youve got a point though if someone just left a big glob hanging there. Little common sense needs to be applied. I fully feel the sentiment in your response, but its really NOT a big deal if you take your time and THINK a little along the way. If one is worried about the detents weight being filled, all you need is a drill and take a little dimple out when its done.

Ive also observed the crank bolt heads on bikes spinning out of perfect round and theres no issue there..just sayin.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I've got zero welding skillz, nor do I have the equipment to even give it a try. So, I did a quick search and found a few replacements. Just to be sure though, this is all I need correct?

Comment

The bolts too. Mine were kind of chewed up. They are prone to failure. Those bearings don't come with the kit, at least for the 1000. Hopefully, everything will be great.

Comment

I replace the bolts with GRADE 8 hardened ones from Fastenal. Like he said..the OEM ones get chewed up easier than real hardened ones do.

Comment

the S/C has a tin shield over it.
                  welding will not work because it is also broke on the inside.
                  it should be cheap to replace on a smaller GS.

Comment

I cant SEE into the inside hub area..but based on the second pic I dont see anything that I couldnt fix in 10 minutes with my MIG. But then aqain I am skilled like that to be able to repair things myself rather than waste time and money.

He already said he doesnt have the equipment or welding skills so the point is irrelevant for him anyway.

Comment

I am amused and find it rather funny how much pussyfooting goes on when it comes to just fixing stuff. For gad sakes its not the space shuttle or anything!!! Just grab a pair and do the work!!!!

Bunch of tippy toeing like folks are walking on eggshells or something.

Comment

Grab a pair of what?

Comment

BALLLSSS!!! Man up and just take the by the horns and repair the damned thing!! Folks sit around here and over analise wiping thier azzes most of the time. Just my observations and opinion of course.

So much can be done and repaired rather than wasting down time and money. That little crack is probably just in the cover and in reality the bike will have run another 50,000 miles with it as is and he wouldnt have even known unless he took off the cover...for something really seriuos that is.

Useless perponderance of evidence thats of no consequence what so ever.

Comment

Ho hum

There is a reason that there is an off topic area and a technical area. Some people understand it.

Comment

I understand it perectly.Jeep asked the question here so I posted here.

Comment

Working...
                              X