No announcement yet.

Cracked...Need to replace stator rotor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the part is somewhat balanced..or was till you feed goose shlt weld all over it...hahahhaha
    back to the OT area charles!

Comment

And it would be when i was done too....sorry but this aint my first redeo. Ive been a die maker / machinist and welder for over 26 years and I know my personal capabilites.

Thats a 10 minute fix tops.

Like i said, had he not opened the cover for "whatever" the original rebuild intent was, the bike would have went another 50,000 miles and he wouldnt have ever known the difference. The only thing the cover is used for is so the dowels dont fall out the back side.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

It's not a matter of not having the balls Chuck it's more the fact not everyone has the skills or the equipment. Not to mention it still takes time to pull off the part, do the repair, and put the part back - so how much time are you really wasting to buy a replacement and put it on?
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I am referencing all the tippy toe around it just because of a little crack that really of no circumstance responses Scot.

Hell Yamaha was smart enough to realise all they needed was a backing plate..so they made one that is held to the back with a thick washer on the crank.

Even if he wasnt doing a rebuild tear down, checking the bolts tightness etc etc, that can be welded and done right where its at. No need to tear anything off. Some simple welds, some grinding till its ever so slightly still proud ( that means a little high to anyone uninformed) and some detailing with a file...done and move on really.

In all honesty, if it was mine, i wouldnt even bother with it. Notice that the covers are usually always spun from their original placement even though Suzuki dimpled the covers?? That right there should tell anyone that logically its a non issue. If the covers move out of place, then what the heck does any balance or anything else matter. I see too many responses..that to me..are simply way over thought and useless in the big picture.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            Nothing to replace. Just pull the rotor and remove the starter clutch and the dowels and springs inside. Weld the cracks shut and grind them and file the area so its relatively smooth again.
            If only everyone had a welder at their disposal.

Originally posted by TheDuke View Post
            I've got zero welding skillz, nor do I have the equipment to even give it a try.
            Join the club, neither do most of us.

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
            ... welding will not work because it is also broke on the inside.
            it should be cheap to replace on a smaller GS.
            It's basically the same part (although different size and all), why is it any more expensive on a larger bike?
            Besides, there aren't many clues to the size of the bike in question.

I dont see anything that I couldnt fix in 10 minutes with my MIG. But then aqain I am skilled like that to be able to repair things myself rather than waste time and money.
            If I had a MIG, I could probably fix it in 10 minutes, too. I, too, would rather fix than replace, on most things, but since I don't have a welder (like most of us), there is no choice in the matter.

I am amused and find it rather funny how much pussyfooting goes on when it comes to just fixing stuff.
            I agree, but we all tend to work within our capabilities and comfort zones.
            I pretty much feel the same way when I see newbies post about how complicated or intimidating carbs and valve adjustments seem to be.

So much can be done and repaired rather than wasting down time and money.
            True, if you have the skills and the tools.

Ive been a die maker / machinist and welder for over 26 years and I know my personal capabilites.

For me to get anywhere near that capability, I would have to take a class and either use the part as a class project or get the equipment and do it at home.
            It's much quicker for those of us that don't have a welder sitting in the corner of the garage and years of experience to back it up to simply replace the part.
            Shall we send you all our broken parts so you can weld them up for us?

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            ... Chuck it's more the fact not everyone has the skills or the equipment. Not to mention it still takes time to pull off the part, do the repair, and put the part back - so how much time are you really wasting to buy a replacement and put it on?
            Most of the mechanical work will take the same time: remove the stator cover, remove the rotor/stater clutch assembly, remove starter clutch from rotor, re-attach starter clutch, re-install rotor assembly, re-install stator cover. The only difference will be whether you take "10 minutes" to weld the crack or order a part and wait a few days for its arrival. You probably needed to order a gasket anyway, so there is no extra time there. The difference is whether you take off a cracked piece, weld it, re-install it or take off a cracked piece, set it down, reach for a replacement and install it.

Chuck, we appreciate your welding skills, but not all of us have them.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Chuck Hahn's Capabilities

And it would be when i was done too....sorry but this aint my first redeo. Ive been a die maker / machinist and welder for over 26 years and I know my personal capabilites.

Like i said, had he not opened the cover for "whatever" the original rebuild intent was, the bike would have went another 50,000 miles and he wouldnt have ever known the difference. The only thing the cover is used for is so the dowels dont fall out the back side.
              Got it. It was just the title of the thread that was incorrect.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Well, regardless of all these shenanigans, I bought a clean replacement on Ebay for $30 plus shipping. Got to say though, even if I had the equipment and know-how, I'd probably have just bought a new one instead of welding/grinding to get a repair that may or may not last or may or may not unbalance the doohickey. Some things are just easier to replace than to repair. To each his own I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                X