Charging system questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging system questions

I've got a 1979 Suzuki GS750E. I've checked the battery voltage when it is running and seems to be charging. The push button works about 50% of the time. Other half I half to kick start it. I noticed when I have to use the headlights after dark, when I come to a stop the headlight dims and if I have the high beam on they really dim down. Any ideas of what needs to be checked out?

Do a quick test in my signature

Comment

Hi,

Yes, more thorough testing is in order. You should see about 14.5 volts DC at the battery at 4000-5000 rpm. Also check for voltage loss between the r/r output and the positive battery terminal.

You'll find links to most of MR. posplayr's excellent write-ups in the electrical section of my little website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by alingo2001 View Post
        I've got a 1979 Suzuki GS750E. I've checked the battery voltage when it is running and seems to be charging. The push button works about 50% of the time. Other half I half to kick start it. I noticed when I have to use the headlights after dark, when I come to a stop the headlight dims and if I have the high beam on they really dim down. Any ideas of what needs to be checked out?
        battery good? I doubt the stator based on what you have described. check the regulator/rectifier as your first move after good battery/fuse block/ignitor box connectivity...

Comment

Originally posted by 81suzi View Post
          battery good? I doubt the stator based on what you have described. check the regulator/rectifier as your first move after good battery/fuse block/ignitor box connectivity...
          AND the starter button feed/ground wires, and the switch itself. ALSO there is a small electromechanical safety switch under the clutch lever-if this has bad connectivity, you can have worsening starting issues (trust me)

Comment

Working...
          X