Bad Stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Stator

After running for a few minutes, my bike will die. The battery isn't getting a charge. I tested my stator as follows:

yellow - blue/white: 1.2 ohms
    yellow - green/white: .7 ohms
    blue/white - green/white: .7 ohms

blue/white - ground: .9 ohms
    green/white - ground: .7 ohms
    yellow - ground: .9 ohms

While running and revving, the battery never goes over 11.8 volts. So I opened up my side cover, and this is how my stator looked:

Looks fried to me. What the best place for a new stator? OEM?

As a side note, I'd love to meet the man that decided to use phillips screws to fasten the stator. They're all stripped. Anyone have any advice besides grinding them off?

Originally posted by jmaresca View Post
    After running for a few minutes, my bike will die. The battery isn't getting a charge. I tested my stator as follows:

yellow - blue/white: 1.2 ohms
    yellow - green/white: .7 ohms
    blue/white - green/white: .7 ohms

blue/white - ground: .9 ohms
    green/white - ground: .7 ohms
    yellow - ground: .9 ohms

While running and revving, the battery never goes over 11.8 volts. So I opened up my side cover, and this is how my stator looked:

Looks fried to me. What the best place for a new stator? OEM?

As a side note, I'd love to meet the man that decided to use phillips screws to fasten the stator. They're all stripped. Anyone have any advice besides grinding them off?
    Get an SH-775 Series R/R to avoid burned stators. There are several manufacturers, I would go with Electrosport if you have the Series R/R

Alot of people use impact drivers but I fins with a socket wrench after taping the bin deep into the screw you can usually get them out if you maintain pressure.

Comment

I use a thick pad, basically part of an old wrestling mat, to put the cover on while I press downward on the screw using a large Phillips. When I reassemble, I use button-head metric cap screws instead. With threadlocker, of course. I stripped one last year and opted to grind a slot into the screw head, so I could remove it with a regular large screwdriver.
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Stator screws

For working on these Japanese machines you need a set of JIS screwdrivers, when I changed my stater there was no problem.
        1980 GS1000E

Comment

Working...
        X