turn signal malfunction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turn signal malfunction

ok..so my right turn signal works just fine..but the left doesn't blink...considering they are connected to the same flasher i'm kind of stumped...yes the lights come on..they just don't blink...if it is a bad flasher..where would i find this...i have a 1981 gs450t...this is something i'm interested in fixing asap..for obvious reasons..aka hand signals are not understood by today's car drivers..IF THEY SEE THEM...

Are all of the turn signals properly grounded? I found when I first replaced one of mine a couple of years ago that the fronts wouldn't blink. Once I received the advice on here to add some grounds to each, I haven't had a problem.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

check the wattages of your signal bulbs on the problem side - just for good measure there may not be enough resistance to get the bimetal strip inside the flasher to cycle. 7 watts times 4

test the two on the problem side with a test light -ground the alligator clip and put the pointer on a positive lead to a signal.

what that does is increase the resistance to make the flasher flash both the signal and the test light

if you increase the resistance and the flasher will begin to flash / or / flash faster. that is an indication

higher watt bulbs - in line resistor - bad ground - bad connection.
      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I too was gonna suggest mismatched bulbs.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yeah, me, too.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

first of all..thanks for the replies...the signals have all worked just fine for the three months i have owned the bike..the left side just quit working while riding around yesterday...looking around on google i found that i may have a bad bulb..which will light but not blink...thanks again..i'll be out in the garage checking all of this out...

Comment

Originally posted by chadams66 View Post
              first of all..thanks for the replies...the signals have all worked just fine for the three months i have owned the bike..the left side just quit working while riding around yesterday...looking around on google i found that i may have a bad bulb..which will light but not blink...thanks again..i'll be out in the garage checking all of this out...
              Lights don't change wattage overnight so my guess would be a ground.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

went out to the garage and started checking the bulbs in the blinkers...first of all let me say the previous owner had "rat biked" the bike a bit and replaced the original blinkers with some aftermarket smaller blinkers...not to my big surprise the bulbs in the rear don't match the bulbs in the front...so i'll look around tomorrow and see if i can replace the bad bulb..but i won't be holding my breath on that one...went ahead and hit up ebay and got some nice blinkers off a 1981 gs550t...once i get those mounted i'll feel a lot better...gonna rain here this week..got nothing better to do...

Comment

Working...
                X