Check my numbers please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check my numbers please

I've been cleaning up some electrical connections to get my voltage up at the coils. I cleaned the connectors in the harness leading to the coils. I also disassembled and cleaned the ignition switch and fuse block. That's some shiny stuff now! The kill switch is new, and I have bypassed the clutch switch by plugging the 2 wires together.

Here are my numbers:

Battery with key off - 12.75V (This is after an overnight charge)
    Battery with key on - 12.14V
    + side of both coils - 11.02V

The voltage at the coils is about .5V better than before the cleaning. How much better can I expect to get, and where else can I clean to improve on this?

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

You are only dropping a volt, I would not worry about it too much.

If you want to try to track down exactly where you are dropping that volt, look for the 4-pin connector that comes from the ignition switch. The four wires will be red, orange, brown and gray. Check the voltage on the red and orange wires. If you see a difference there, the drop is in the contacts in the ignition switch.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Losing a full volt at coils is not a big deal, but not ideal either. Have you considered a coil relay? It's dead easy to do and costs about $10 in parts.

Comment

maybe

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
        Losing a full volt at coils is not a big deal, but not ideal either. Have you considered a coil relay? It's dead easy to do and costs about $10 in parts.
        I am considering it. Is there any noticeable difference in performance when I get back to 12V?

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Considering that you are on an 850, you will not be instantly ripping your arms out of their shoulder sockets, but it might idle a little better due to better spark at low RPM.

Can you check your coil voltage with the engine at 4 or 5k RPM? Compare that to the battery voltage at the same RPM.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Good idea

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Considering that you are on an 850, you will not be instantly ripping your arms out of their shoulder sockets, but it might idle a little better due to better spark at low RPM.

Can you check your coil voltage with the engine at 4 or 5k RPM? Compare that to the battery voltage at the same RPM.

I have the valve cover off at the moment, but I'll check that once I receive a couple shims from our shim club.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
              I am considering it. Is there any noticeable difference in performance when I get back to 12V?
              I noticed it at highway cruising speed! Bikes are just ready to launch when you are. I recall thinking 'holy crap, it's like a sewing machine now!'

Comment

Working...
              X