Side Stand Switch Diode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side Stand Switch Diode

I tried to search for this problem but every time I use search, the page won't load...So, my side stand switch is new, I bought a new one thinking that it was the switch that was bad...The indicator light stays on constantly whether the side stand is down or not...I was looking through the wiring diagram and I noticed that there is a diode that the wire goes to, before it goes to the indicator light...The question is " Where is that diode located"? Can I replace that Diode? Is that the most likely solution? I am sure this has been discussed ad nauseam on this board, I just can't search for it...Thanks for the help...

Do you have an idiot light control box? This could be the problem.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The diode is there to cause both the sidestand and oil pressure lights to light up when you loose oil pressure. This makes sense on my bike since one light is on the speedo and the other is on the tach. If one bulb burns out you still get an indication on the other. If you're checking it with the engine not running then the light will not go out even if you put the stand up. Is your oil pressure light on with the engine running as well? If not, then the diode is probably OK. Check for a short on that line going to the headlight bucket. I think the diode is located inside, but not sure.
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Checked ti running

So, I dug out all the wires and found soldered splices in the wire. G/W wires, one to plug to ride side wire bundle going to gauge cluster, other side of G/W splice going to diode then to another plug that goes to left side wire bundle of gauge cluster...Diode looks good and functional because, the oil pressure light goes off and the side switch light is still illuminated...I need a continuity tester so I can start at the switch and work forward...If those wires are spliced in to the switch wire, I guess if there is a short anywhere in the circuit, that could be the problem...UGH. I tested this all while running and un-plugged them all one at a time to see if it made a difference...Not yet!

Comment

Originally posted by Meriban View Post
          .................................................. ...................................Diode looks good and functional because, the oil pressure light goes off and the side switch light is still illuminated....
          Sounds like you understand the purpose/function of that diode. Good.

Does sidestand light stay on when you unplug the wire at the sidestand switch (when have oil pressure)? If so, then somewhere in that wire it is shorted to ground. Or maybe right in the instrument cluster that wire/circuit is shorted to ground.

You do understand that, right? The sidestand switch functions by connecting the wire to ground (when sidestand is not up).
          (when sidestand is up it does not connect the wire to ground).

As a further test; can disconnect that diode, then the oil pressure operates the oil pressure light only, and the sidestand operates the sidestand light only.

Last edited by Redman; 11-07-2013, 11:15 PM.
          http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

That is helpful for knowing how it works. I disconnected the diode to see if the light would go out on the side stand, it didn't turn the light off...I have all the wires apart and tomorrow will methodically go through them until I find what is up...Thanks for the help.

Comment

that is an excellent point and one that I didn't even consider...When I unplug the side stand switch the light does stay on...That will save me so much time now...Thanks..

Comment

Solved

Thank goodness I figured it out...I am not sure if I want to tell anyone how...It would look like a bigger horses patoot than I do already...

Comment

Thank goodness I figured it out...I am not sure if I want to tell anyone how...It would look like a bigger horses patoot than I do already...
                  Go ahead and tell us. You might just save someone else from looking like a horses patoot lol.

Comment

I need to qualify it first, I took this off last May when I got the bike...So, there is a cam on the kickstand, that cam is on the outside of the kickstand. I in my ignorance, and lack of attention, installed the switch on the inside of the bracket, so the kickstand could not actuate the plunger...Or in other words. Ass backwards...and the dip **** of the year award goes to......

Comment

Ah that's nothing but a little over sight. No award for you. I've heard and seen a lot worse than that. Glad you figured it out rather quickly. That makes up for the mistake in the first place. Now if it took you a month or you got ****ed and took a hammer to it that would be grounds for an award especially if you figured it out right after you smashed it up with the hammer.

Comment

............ I in my ignorance, and lack of attention, installed the switch on the inside of the bracket, so the kickstand could not actuate the plunger.....
                        But ...... that does not explain why light would stay on when disconnect the wire from the switch.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
                        X