Key start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Key start

Does anyone know how to cut out the run/kill switch ad the starter button on the bars and rig it up to key start with just an ignition kinda like car?

... and add 2 more wheels ... and add windows and doors all around and roof overhead and flooring underneath ... ?

Okay, sorry for the snide comments.

Lets ponder this....
    How could you do this....
    Would need to find a keyswitch with the start position (spring return), jumper out the kill switch, and rewire the bike wiring so the starter solenoid is wired to the key switch start position.
    Typical automotive switch will not have anything for your fork locks, and nothing for your "park" position for the tail light circuit.
    And the Accessory position of the automotive switch would serve no function, unless you want to change more wiring for that position to power only your Aux fuse (if you have one).
    But yah, you could rewire everything, I am sure. We Could give more specific information about what wire color on your bike are for what circuit.
    You would have to figure out how to mount this new switch, and how to make the connections of the bikes wires to this new switch (splice, crimp, whatever).

Then hold in clutch with one hand, operate the throttle with other hand, and turn the key to the start position with your teeth.

Sorry. Guess I am still stuck on "what?... huh? ... why? "

Motorcycle controls/switches have been developed over the years so you can operate them without having to let go of handle bars.

>>later note: (before Steve corrects me)
    To have the Accessory position of the key switch power the AUX fuse, you would have to add some wiring from swtich to the fuse block AND hack up the internals of the fuse block.

Last edited by Redman; 11-08-2013, 02:06 PM. Reason: add later note.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Right hand switch assy broken?

Some modders relocate this stuff to "clean up" the handlebars, so it can be done. Just buy a new ignition switch, mount it, and reroute the wiring. Simples!

...Except now you have to carry two keys.
      ...Or take it to a locksmith to have it rekeyed.
      ...And you lose the ability to lock the forks.
      ...And you can't shut off the engine quickly when the oil pressure light comes on.

But other than that, it's all upsides.
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

How about doing it like the fancy new cars with a button?
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

look up the wiring diagram, i have done what you are looking to do,

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            Would need to find a keyswitch with the start position (spring return), jumper out the kill switch, and rewire the bike wiring so the starter solenoid is wired to the key switch start position.
            Actually there is no need to jumper out the kill switch.

As always, just make sure it is ON, then use the key to start the bike, instead of conveniently thumbing the starter button.

The 'kill' switch is actually a very good safety feature to have readily at-hand. In the rare case of emergency, I would rather flip a thumb up to the 'kill' switch than try to find the key to turn the bike off.

Typical automotive switch will not have anything for your fork locks, and nothing for your "park" position for the tail light circuit.
            The "park" feature is rather useless, anyway. It would, however, be necessary to hardwire the tail light to the rest of the lights so it would come on when the key was turned ON.

And the Accessory position of the automotive switch would serve no function, unless you want to change more wiring for that position to power only your Aux fuse (if you have one).
            I wish there was an ACC position on the key now. My Wing has one, I use it to keep the radio on while filling the tank at a gas station.

We Could give more specific information about what wire color on your bike are for what circuit.
            Especially if we had a clue what bike we are talking about.

Then hold in clutch with one hand, operate the throttle with other hand, and turn the key to the start position with your teeth.
            The clutch switch is easily bypassed, and you don't use the throttle if you are using the 'choke', but you still need multiple hands to modulate the 'choke' and turn the key.

Sorry. Guess I am still stuck on "what?... huh? ... why? "

Motorcycle controls/switches have been developed over the years so you can operate them without having to let go of handle bars.
            I am definitely with you on that point.

>>later note: (before Steve corrects me)
            To have the Accessory position of the key switch power the AUX fuse, you would have to add some wiring from swtich to the fuse block AND hack up the internals of the fuse block.
            No correction needed, Dave, that is just one detail that will have to be added to the whole project, if he chooses to go that route.
            That might actually be the easiest part of the re-wire.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              How about doing it like the fancy new cars with a button?
              Isn't that kinda like what the bike came with? lol

Comment

SSshhhhhhh!!
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                X