Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hmm. those wires shouldn't be like that.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

..solder's ok but need be done in the middle of wires- as 850GT says above take the connectors right off if you are going to do this.
    ...If you get the idea to solder to the old metal lugs without a real attention to how it'll stress the copper wire.....well, what I mean is, the extra solder hardens the connection there by thickness and maybe heat because and what happens is, it often breaks later where the copper whire leaves the "fix", where a wire-to-wire soldered splice can sort of float and not stress.

Comment

is there a good way to connect them without soldering?

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
      ..solder's ok but need be done in the middle of wires- as 850GT says above take the connectors right off if you are going to do this.
      ...If you get the idea to solder to the old metal lugs without a real attention to how it'll stress the copper wire.....well, what I mean is, the extra solder hardens the connection there by thickness and maybe heat because and what happens is, it often breaks later where the copper whire leaves the "fix", where a wire-to-wire soldered splice can sort of float and not stress.

Comment

Not if you want it to last.

These wires take so much current that the least bit of corrosion or a high-resistance connection leads to melted wires & connectors. Unless you have a sealed connector, then stripped, soldered, covered by heat shrink is the best way to go.

Comment

Do it Right

Brush with CLR, rinse well.
          Flux & Solder.
          Crimp curves a little.
          Spritz with WD40, Good as Gold,,..

Comment

Actually properly done crimp connectors are as good as anything. The junk they sell at Walmart ain't it.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

great. i'll work on this over the weekend. you're right, best to do it correctly.

Comment

I still prefer to solder and shrink the stator wires to the R/R wires. Properly done crimps are easier said that done. We spend hundreds per crimper at work, and have to calibrate them daily or weekly, depending upon how they are used.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

i think this is the way i'm heading. watched a few youtube soldering videos, and did some other research online. i'll practice on some old wires first and once i'm confident i'll solder them and shrink, nice and neat.

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                  I still prefer to solder and shrink the stator wires to the R/R wires. Properly done crimps are easier said that done. We spend hundreds per crimper at work, and have to calibrate them daily or weekly, depending upon how they are used.

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
                    i think this is the way i'm heading. watched a few youtube soldering videos, and did some other research online. i'll practice on some old wires first and once i'm confident i'll solder them and shrink, nice and neat.
                    PM sent........

Comment

...i'll solder them and shrink, nice and neat.
                      Not saying this ever happened to me , but don't forget to slide the heat-shrink tubing on the wires BEFORE you make your beautiful solder joints.
                      '85 GS550L - SOLD
                      '85 GS550E - SOLD
                      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                      '81 GS750L - SOLD
                      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Be sure to test your stator and R/R before soldering it.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

finally got the garage space cleaned out, and all my winter basement projects moved back outside in the clean space. now to get a comfy garage chair.

going to test the stator and R/R, then solder. hoping i don't have to replace those...

Comment

is there a specific kind of solder to use? do i need flux? or is rosin core ok?

Comment

Rosin core is GREAT. The rosin is the flux.

If you can, look for solder that is NOT "lead-free". I find it just a bit harder to work with. A 60/40 blend will do just fine.

Do NOT use acid core solder that will be found in the plumbing department of the "big box" stores.

With rosin core solder, extra flux is not necessary, but there are just enough times that it will help. A small tin will last nearly a lifetime for the average amatuer mechanic.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Welcome back after this lousy winter!

Where are you at in the metro Milwaukee area? I've got soldering gun, solder, heat gun, heat shrink tubing, etc etc. Be more than happy to lend you a hand.

Woke mine up from it's winter nap on Friday. Got done just as the rain started, so still haven't been on the road. Now today of course, it's snowing like it's November. Forecast sux too....

Comment

Working...
                                X